The Monster's Tale

Polyphemus! Of all the moronic psychopathic monsters in the Greek mythology, it had to be that one-eyed idiot!

"Long time no see, dear!" Polyphemus spoke with a grin.

"What the heck are you doing here?" Clarisse asked.

"Hunting demigods!" Polyphemus replied, as if that was the most obvious thing.

"Seems like the bad guys ran out of monsters!" Clarisse taunted. "Why would Echidna even choose you for the task? You're probably the worst cyclops I'd ever seen."

"Whatever!" Polyphemus pointed at the blonde girl. "I'm here for the Tyche kid. Stay out of my way and I'll make sure to spare you for the time being. You know, for old times sake."

"What is he talking about?" Will asked from behind.

"None of your business, Solace!" Clarisse retorted, remembering the last time she had to deal with the cyclops in his lair. The moron had tried to make her his bride! Back in the camp, she had made a deal with Percy and the others that this little information would be highly confidential. Well, nobody would be thrilled to know that the mighty Clarisse La Rue was imprisoned and about to be wed to a pathetic cyclops.

But then, Mr Sunshine opened his mouth. "Uh, Polyphemus. Can't we make a bargain?"

Clarisse watched jaw-dropped as Will stepped ahead diplomatically. Polyphemus was equally surprised by this approach. "What do you propose?"

"Well, we are here for the Tyche kid as well." he said. "So, if there's a way we can have her without any bloodshed or killings?"

"You serious?" Clarisse rolled her eyes.

But Polyphemus seemed to consider. "Mother Echidna placed great rewards for getting the Tyche kid... but..."

"But?" Will pushed him further.

"Let's say that I let you leave with the Tyche kid for now." the cyclops said. "What could you probably give me in exchange?"

Clarisse was already against this bargaining thing. It became further disgusting when Will said, "You can have Clarisse!"

"What?"

"Excellent!" Polyphemus exclaimed. "I'm ready!"

"I'm not!" Clarisse retorted. "I'll kill you for this, Solace!"

"Wait, wait, wait!" Will raised his hands, turning to Polyphemus. "There'd be just one little problem."

"What?" Polyphemus asked.

"Echidna." Will replied. "I don't think she'll appreciate that you jeopardized a sensitive mission like this just to get married."

"You're right!" Polyphemus spoke, trying hard to think. Though Clarisse could tell by experience that thinking was a pretty exhausting job for the monster. "Mother Echidna would be really mad."

"Like she already isn't!" Clarisse muttered under her breath.

"Well, here's the deal," Will said, "we give you Clarisse, and you'll let us leave and would not come after us."

"I was never after you." Polyphemus said. "I was after the Tyche kid."

"Ah, it would take time!" Will sighed. "Look man, you get Clarisse, you leave, marry her, raise a family, do whatever you like. I and my friends here would take the Tyche girl with us."

Clarisse had her hands tightly wrapped around the hilt of her blades. The son of Apollo should better have a nice reason, if he wanted to make it back to the camp in one-piece.