Matrimony, Monsters & Magicians

Echidna slithered towards Polyphemus and Will. "Can anyone fill me up with what I missed?"

"I'm getting married, Mother Echidna!" Polly exclaimed. "You must see the girl, she's a lovely demigod!"

"Oh, I would love to." Echidna spoke. "But first tell me, have you caught the Tyche kid?"

Polly shifted nervously. "I-I made a bargain."

"Bargain?" Echidna asked. "Wait, don't tell me you brought your wife in exchange for the Tyche kid!"

"Uh, yes, my friend Will said-"

"I get it!" Echidna raised her hand. "You were fooled again? Have the Fates written it somewhere that you'd forever be deceived by the demigods? First Odysseus, then Percy Jackson, now this!"

"Please, Mother Echidna!" Polly exclaimed. "They're not like the others. Will is a good friend."

"You're an idiot, Polyphemus!" Echidna shouted. "When they search the dictionary for 'idiot', they get your photograph!"

"Actually, they get the meaning of the word!" Will spoke. "Have you even tried reading the dictionary, you fat old hag?"

The wise part of his conscious was nagging him, telling him to shut up, but Will was no trickster. He called Polly his friend, and no one... no one in the goddamn tartarus could insult Will Solace's friends!

"You think you're so intelligent, is it Echidna?" Will spoke. "Percy outmatched you on his very first quest, when he didn't even know the Greek world completely. Not that he knows it now, but the point is, you should stop thinking you're important. You're not!"

"Shut up, you twit!" Echidna hissed.

"Admit it, Echidna!" Will said. "You were assigned for this monster rebellion just because everyone else who was important is dead already. Am I right?"

"No, you're not!" Echidna screamed.

"Okay, where were you when Gaia was recruiting soldiers against the gods?" Will asked. "Had she forgotten that you exist?"

"She had sent me a messenger, but my sheep ate him." Polly spoke. "Poor Earthborn!"

Will had a victorious smile on his face. "See! Even Polly got the invitation! You're nothing but a disappointment, Monster Momma!"

Will turned to Polly, "Look man, I'm sorry that I lied to you about the marriage. I might've hurt your feelings."

"See," Echidna cheered, "he deceived you! He isn't a friend!"

"You," Polly spoke sadly, "you fooled me?"

"I called you a friend and I meant it." Will said, focused completely on the cyclops. "See Polly, you can't always get what you want. But a person has to be happy with what he gets, and always hope for the best. That's what life is all about. We can't lose hope."

"Enough from the kid!" Echidna screamed. "Kill him!"

One of the cyclops lunged forward, but before it could touch Will, Polly shoved the monster on the ground.

"No one!" Polly roared. "No one touches my friend!"

"What!" Echidna screamed. "Are you insane?"

"Shut the hell up!" Polly replied. "You're not my mom!" He passed a bunch of keys to Will. "Go get the Ares girl and leave. I got this!"

"I'm not leaving you here!" Will replied.

"You did your job, friend." Polly spoke. "It's my chance to make my parents proud."