Interview with TheFlamingPopsicle: The Writer of Better Than Revenge

Start from the beginning

Who's your favorite author on Wattpad?

Canse12, definitely.

***

About you:

You had quite a lot of written books. Out of sixteen of them, you completed four books which are There's Something About Shay, The Ultimate Girl's Guide on Boys, Love Is Friendship Set To Music and Love Is Friendship Set On Fire. Which of the completed books you enjoyed writing the most and why?

There’s Something About Shay is definitely the one I enjoyed writing the most. The last two were terrible, in my opinion, and the second one was more of a collection of short stories. Writing about such an insane character is really fun. She’s so different from the usual heroine; it makes my job a lot more fun! Plus, I actually got to try to plan the entire story out and the plot was more intricate and well thought out than my previous works.

 Some of your books are ON HOLD, will you ever get to it or finishing it?

I’ll eventually finish all of them. I just made the mistake of starting way too many stories at once so I became a little overwhelmed. I had to put a few of them on hold to cope. Every time I finish one of the stories that isn’t currently on hold, I’ll continue writing one of the books that were put on hold. Hopefully this system will work better.

Which of the books you’re focusing now? Tell us more about the book.

I’m focusing on ‘Cute But Psycho. Things Even Out’. The book is the sequel to ‘There’s Something About Shay’, except the main character is now Shay’s daughter, Skye, who might just be even crazier than her mom. While Shay once had trouble getting a love life, Skye has trouble dealing with her unwanted love life. With Skye’s personality, though, she gets into a lot of sticky situations that make this story light-hearted and humorous.

How do you handle writer’s block?

Not very well, honestly. I usually either force myself to write until it goes away, or I spend all of my time playing dumb games online instead. I should probably see how other writers deal with it. There has to a better way than mine.

When you get a new idea for a story, will you plan it first or just write it—go with the flow?

It really depends on the idea . . . sometimes the idea will be very small. If I only have the idea for the beginning, I’ll just go with the flow, but if I’ve somehow crafted a masterpiece that needs to be planned out and requires research, then I’ll create an outline first and then start writing. But usually, I’ll get an idea, start writing, and then begin planning it out.

What genre you like the most when it comes to writing and what genre you like the most when it comes to reading?

Humor is my favorite when it comes to writing. There’s just something I love about being able to make others laugh. It makes me really happy. And I love reading romance stories. They’re sappy and cliché, yes, but I just can’t get enough of them.

Based on the votes, There's Something About Shay is your well known book among your fans. Tell us what the book is all about and what inspire you to write it.

The book is about a girl named Shay, who really doesn’t care what others think. She knows who she is and what she wants and doesn’t let others interfere. Her eccentric personality has left her single her entire life, until she meets Westley a few weeks before her sixteenth birthday. He seems nice at first—a little gay, but nice nevertheless—but things quickly take a turn for the worst when his jealous and possessive side shows. Another guy has shown interest in Shay, although she doesn’t see it, a guy named Forrest. He happens to be Westley’s worst enemy, however, and he can’t stand the thought of losing Shay to him. This situation is stressful to say the least, so Shay’s best friends, Maddie and Jasmine, take her out to a bar for a Girl’s Night Out. During that night, Shay gets drunk and passes out. The next morning, she wakes up in the body of her rival school’s It Girl, Serena Magnus. At first, her priority is getting back into her body, but when she makes a shocking discovery, she realizes her life is never going to be the same.

I can’t even begin to imagine what inspired me to write this. I know I had a dream about the character, Shay, but after that, the story just kind of evolved as I spewed crazy ideas here and there.

Are any of your characters based on real people?

A few of my main characters are based on parts of me (personality-wise, I mean). Shay’s best friends in ‘There’s Something About Shay’ are based on my two best friends in real life. Skye’s best friend in ‘Cute But Psycho. Things Even Out’ is based on one of my friends. One of the main male characters is based on a guy I know in real life. I’m not naming names, just in case this comes back to bite me in the butt later on.

Who's your favorite character out of your stories?

Paul Grove from ‘There’s Something About Shay’. He’s so weird. And stupid. And yet, he’s so lovable. I wish he was real. I would finally give him that cookie he has been waiting for. xD

In your profile page, you wrote that you wanted to be a published writer. Are you gonna publish any of your books in your profile page? If yes, why?

I don’t know . . . maybe? I know most publishers don’t want to publish a book that’s already been posted online. If I ever did publish one of them, it would probably be ‘There’s Something About Shay’. I would have to thoroughly edit it first, though, and I would have to change up a few things to make it different. I’m probably not going to be able to get it published, though, but who knows? I might as well try.

Ever get any bad comments? How do you handle it?

A few. One of them was because I gave a user my honest opinion about her story—which she asked for—so she went to every single one of my stories and said something mean. In that case, I just ignored her and deleted the comments. Another was a girl who was criticizing my main character for her flaws. I decided to just explain to that girl that since humans aren’t perfect, my character wasn’t going to be, either. I usually don’t have to handle bad comments myself, though. My fans are pretty much insane so they’ll go ninja on their butts for me. xD

Aside Wattpad, do you have any other account where we could stalk you?

I have a lot—most of which I don’t use—but they’re there. I have a Quizilla, a Figment, a Mibba, an Inkpop, a Booksie, a Tumblr, a Twitter account and a Facebook. The only one of those that I actually use on a daily basis is my Facebook. J

Do you have anything you would like to say to your fans or anyone reading this?

Hmm . . . just that I LOVE YOU GUYS TO DEATH! Where would I be without my crazy fans? You guys are awesome! And even if you’re not a fan of mine, but you’re reading this . . . I LOVE YOU TOO. Just because you spent five minutes of your life reading the nonsense I ramble on and on about.

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.

Peace out, homies!

***

Yes, guys! This is definitely TheFlamingPopsicle—the living proof of craziness. Her answers to our questions were definitely to die for. It was fun to read at. If you haven’t known her yet, I suggest you to go and stalk her! And definitely read her latest project Cute But Psycho. Things Even Out. Better yet, read the first book of the series: There’s Something About Shay. If you’re a fan of crazy characters, the books are yours to read and explore!