Chapter 2: Don't Do Drugs, Don't Do Magic

Food appeared before my eyes, perfectly cooked chicken breast, perfectly shaped jelly and a coleslaw, slightly salted, slightly peppered, just how I liked it, and all of it was served on silver plates elegantly placed on a golden tray. The knife and fork were both made out of the same blue metal. This couldn't be magic I just used, no way, magic isn't that cool, I thought it was used to summon flying donkeys or an army of machine gun-armed storm troopers or something.Hey, I'm only thirteen.

The food was better than my mother's cooking (despite her attitude, her food isn't even close to being rotten), I wolfed it down before I even noticed I had taken a bite. Turns out I was hungry. After I finished my delicious food, the plates packed themselves up, and a cloud of thick mist spread around them. By the time the fog had faded away, all that was left of my meal were two half-eaten apples. I lay on my back on top of the soft grass below me, staring up at the clouds in the sky, as I felt my eyelids pull themselves down over my eyes until they were closed and I had started to doze off.

Two hours later, my eyes started to open again, greeting an old man standing above me. His eyes pierced into me and he scowled down at me, which frankly, seemed to just be his resting face with added wrinkles, or at least, that's what I had learned from basically every person over the age of 65 in my country. I guess it's a mix of hemorrhoids and menopause, which probably sucks. Thankfully, I wouldn't know.

The man above continued to glare down at me. He probably would've seen more intimidating if it weren't for his scrawny figure and daffy duck shirt, and he probably could've done with more than a couple white wisps of hair on his head. Honestly, I could see why he was upset. I would be too if I was balding and had little to no fashion sense, but I don't think I'd be complaining about the being skinny part, I think everyone's hoping to lose a couple of pounds sooner or later.After around five minutes of staring at each other, I concluded the following - he seemed to be mad at me for some reason, and also, old people can go an incredible amount of time without blinking.

Eventually, I decided to speak,

"Um, hi, I'm Tasha, what's up?" the man continued glaring and waited around a minute before finally speaking up

"Get off" he whispered

"Pardon?"

"Get off my lawn!" he yelled, but not very loud. I jumped up quickly and snatched my now empty bag from the ground,

"I'm really sorry, sir, I didn't know this was a part of a property." I brushed myself off, but before I could walk away, I felt a swish by my ear, a thump and a cry from the man (also a couple of clicking bones but I think that part's just a natural occurrence for old people). I turned around to see him on the ground, clutching a piece of wood in his hand, which I guess I hadn't noticed before.

"What the hell..." I heard the man say under his breath, "I hit you! I hit you! Wha- what happened?" I thought back to the swishing sound I had heard by my ear. It had been awfully close to my head, did it... hit my head? I had felt nothing; also, why was the man on the ground? He seemed to have been knocked back into the ground. He scampered up and ambled slowly towards me, seemingly much angrier than before. He was kind of limping, and it looked like he may have damaged one of his legs, so I was getting real Shining vibes right about then.

I backed away from him slowly, terrified enough to not even consider running or knocking him over as he inched closer. The man stretched his arms up, grasping the piece of wood in both of his hands as he swung down towards my head. I closed my eyes and prepared to die (or get a splinter) but once again felt nothing. I opened my eyes to see the man ricochet off me onto the ground once more. He yelled in dismay and stood up once more. He looked me dead in the eyes and yelled "WITCH! IT'S A WITCH!" as he yelled, I felt myself begin to shake.

The ground below me shook along with me, and then it stopped. Above the man and me, rainwater began to pour down. He fell onto the ground, soaked, as I stood completely dry next to him. Like the shaking, it stopped abruptly, and a ring of fire spurted up out of the ground and circled the both of us. The man continued screaming, probably overheating, but not harmed. Once the flames dug themselves back into the ground. The old man lay on the ground,
completely dry once more but shaking and yelling something about the curses of witches.

He continued yelling for around ten minutes. I stood paralysed, watching him roll around on the ground as if he had had a seizure. Someone must have noticed him at some point because a police car soon pulled up nearby and two policemen walked over. The man continued to yell about my supposed witchy powers. I saw the two police share a glance as they walked right past me and picked the man up off the ground.

"Sir, from what your neighbours and we have observed of your behaviour, you are under the influence of a drug, most likely illegal, so we ask you to allow us to escort back to the police station so we can take a test." the first police officer attempted to calm the man down while explaining the procedure as the second tried to drag him to their car. When he finally managed to pull the man into the car and shut the door, the other policeman turned to me "Thank you for taking care of him this last thirty minutes, we'll be taking it from here." I thanked him, and he walked over to the car as they drove off with the old man.

Time for me to keep walking