4

*Sabrina Pictured*
We sat a table and ate in silence because that's how good it was. I wasn't expecting food in the Glade to be so good. I hadn't met Frypan yet but I really needed to. Everyone was eating so it wasn't just me. I finally broke the silence by saying, "So how exactly do you live in the center of a maze?"

Everyone at the table, which was Minho, Newt, Alby, and Chuck, looked up with confused looks.

"What do you mean?" Newt asked.

"Like Chuck said we're stuck in a maze. Ever wonder how exactly you live here?" I say.

"Well the creators send the stuff up in the bo-" Alby said.

"Yes I know they send stuff up. But I mean how do you live knowing that your in the middle of a maze. I remember books with mazes that kids would draw the lines thorough. How do you live knowing that this is a complex maze that no children could solve?"

"We just kinda go with the flow." Minho said.

"So you're saying that you don't know how you live?" I say.

"Yes." They all say.

"You guys disgust me. I'm never speaking to you again." I say looking away.

"But then you won't see my face." Minho said.

"But you need to do the exercises every day." Chuck said.

I resisted telling him that I would never ever do any of that again.

"Come on Greenie, it's only been a few hours since you came you can't be mad at us now." Newt said.

"Okay first of all Minho, I don't care about seeing your face, Chuck I'm never doing another one of those exercises, and Newt I'm not mad I'm just.....irritated."

"I though you weren't going to-" Minho said.

"Not now. Not now." I say holding up my hand.

Once we finished eating I was taking a walk around the Glade. It was my first time walking around the Glade by myself. Other than my run but other people followed me.

I was taking in everything. By now the sky was dark and it had billions of stars. I felt that I was in the middle of all of it. Like I was the one friend in a 3 circle friend group. They were breathtaking it almost made being trapped in a maze a little more bearable. Nobody had gone to sleep yet I heard the voices in the distance that told me so.

"They're beautiful aren't they?" A voice said. I turned around to see that it was Newt.

"Yeah. They almost make being here not seem so bad." I say.

"They make your eyes sparkle and it looks like they're glowing."

I blushed a little and then a question popped into my head. "What do I look like?"

"Huh?"

"What do I look like? Like what age, or my hair and eye color, height."

"Oh,um, your hair is a red/orange, you have green eyes that glow and sparkle, and you look to be the age of 16 and your about 5'5 so sorry your kinda short."

"Thanks. Do you know what you look like?"

"Actually, I don't. I never really asked."

"Do you wanna know?" I ask raising my eyebrow.

"Sure."

"You have dirty blonde hair, warm chocolate brown eyes, about 5'10 maybe and you look to be 17."

"Thanks. Now I know." He said with a smile.

I heard shouts and yells and I asked, "What exactly is happening?"

"Oh, it's a bonfire. Want to come see?"

"Sure."

Newt puts an arm around my shoulder and we walk over to where the shouts and yells were coming from.

"Wow. That's awesome." I say staring at the gigantic bonfire that lit up the sky.

"Pretty amazing." Newt said.

"Totally."

After awhile when some people had already gone to bed me and Newt sat staring at the doors that led out into the maze.

"So what is a runner?" I ask breaking the silence.

"Well they run the maze. They go out when the doors open and come back before the doors close because if they don't, they're stuck in the maze. And nobody survives a night in the maze." Newt said.

"Why?"

"Well we call them Grievers. They get them, sting them and their memories come back. But to do that you go through a terrible experience. Pain and suffering and sadness."

"Oh."

"Yeah. Do you hear that noise out in the maze?"

"Yeah."

"That's the maze changing and it changes every night which makes the job of a runner even more hard."

"Wow. I never thought it was that tough."

"Yeah. Be thankful for those walls. They protect us."

"From the Grievers."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

"Stop copying me." Newt whined.

"Stop copying me." I said.

"I am stupid." Newt said.

"Yes you are." I say.

"Hey that isn't fair!"

"Actually it is, honey."

"Fine. Are you ready to sleep?"

"After my day. Yes."

"Follow me."

Newt led me into a room in Homestead. It had a bed and a dresser.

"Do you want to sleep together or no?" Newt asked.

"Um, well I'll sleep on the floor."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

He gave me a pillow and a blanket and I lay down going into the dark abyss of sleep.