Chapter 2__Fast Fire

Working at the fire station, of course I knew that there was a fire on Western and Third in downtown Central City.

I got there before the fire trucks did, suited up, unable to be harmed by fire lapping everywhere.

A little girl was in the hallway. "Mom? Mommy?"

A wall of fire was literally trapping the little girl against the wall, but I was able to walk through, pick her up and get her out of there.

The little girl ran to her mother's side.

There was only a few other people inside, and I was able to get to them and get them out.

I stood on the roof of the burning building, looking down over the people reuniting with their families in relief and tears of joy that their loved ones were safe.

And I couldn't do anything but wish that that was me with mine.

I heard Barry, Cisco and Caitlin at the STAR Labs through the mic in the suit.

"What are you two doing?" Caitlin asked.

"Nothing," Barry told her.

"Who are you surveying?" Caitlin asked.

"No one," Barry told her.

"Are you talking to Vera?" Caitlin asked.

"Who?" Cisco asked.

"Vera Mitchell?" Caitlin asked. "Nearly burned alive, in a coma for nine months, woke up and ending up being the fire that nearly killed her last year. Ring a bell?"

"Nope, haven't talked to her," Cisco told her.

I turned around, jogging inside again, standing in the burning hallway, hesitantly putting my arm through a wall of flames in front of me.

The flames didn't burn me. They didn't hurt me or the suit. They were absorbed into me. Like they were making me stronger.

I smirked, touching more fire, absorbing it into me, and making the fire disappear, speaking over the headset. "Guys. When I touch fire, I can absorb it."

"What?" Barry asked.

"I think it makes me stronger," I told them. "If I absorb all of it, then the fire will be out before the firemen even get here."

"Vera, it's Caitlin," Caitlin told me.

I knew I was about to get into trouble. "Hey, Caitlin." I closed my eyes, sighing. "How's your day?"

"Put the fire out and get back to STAR Labs," Caitlin told me.

I sighed. "All right." I was able to put the rest of the fire out by absorbing it, feeling stronger and more exhilarated, walking up the stairs to the roof. I stopped walking when I felt really dizzy and really lightheaded, my head aching. I took a moment to recompose. Fire started to leak out of my hands. I frowned in confusion, looking at the fire. The stream became thicker and stronger like a rocket, able to make me levitate above the ground. I pulled the fire back into my hands slowly, letting myself back down. I used more fire, more thick and powerful, able to fly a small amount of distance away from the roof, using more fire to go further up into the sky, smiling a small smile, speaking into the mic. "Hey, guys? I think I can fly."

~

I got back to STAR Labs via flying, back in normal clothes, standing with Caitlin, Barry and Cisco.