Chapter 18

Ryder's pov

Thanksgiving break was starting today and I couldn't wait till me and Vera started hanging out again. It seemed like we hadn't hung out in forever but then again every time I would try Ethan was always with her. Ever since that one project we three got about two months ago he hasn't left her side.

I just wanted things to go back to the way they were before when it was just me and Vera. In all honesty I had no problem with Ethan I just hated the fact that Vera was clearly liked him yet he was oblivious to it. If I was him I would immediately ask her to be my girlfriend but I knew she didn't like me that way and I couldn't either since we were best friends but it sort of just happened.

Now I wasn't in love with her but I did like her more then a best friend should and it was confusing at times. I also didn't want to do anything about this because if we did ever end up dating but later things didn't work out everything would be awkward between us and our friendship would be completely recked. Also I'd rather have Vera as a best friend and forever instead of girlfriend and temporary.

Anyway currently I was driving to school and since it was the last day before thanksgiving break both me and Vera would be wearing ugly fall sweaters which was tradition for us but I always thought she looked adorable in hers, I took a small glance at my sweater which had dull green and orange leaves knitted into the front.

I signed before speeding up my car, I took the last turn before I spotted the school. I drove into the parking lot and found a spot at the front of the school for my car. Once I parked I got out of the car and sped walk to the tree which me and Vera would always sit at before school. I pulled out my phone and started texting Vera who was about 4-5 minutes away from the school.

"Yo Ryder what's up the ugly sweater" Oliver asked while laughing at me and tossing a lacrosse ball around in his hands.

"Seriously you have to ask me and Vera do this every year. Wear ugly sweaters the week of thanksgiving." I answered while patting down my sweater a bit.

"Seriously dude when are you going to ask her out" Oliver groaned while sitting down beside me. He question caught me completely of guard while I tried laughing it off.

"Wh-what are you talking about" I asked while tugging the collar of the sweater.

"Seriously don't give me that bs everyone knows you have a thing for Vera it's obvious to everyone" Oliver said.

"Except her" I mumbled quietly.

"What" Oliver asked while leaning his ear closer.

"Never mind, I don't like Vera okay we're just friends, best friends" I said while brushing off the topic.

"Whatever man, if you're really no longer into Vera there's plenty of fish in the sea" Oliver said while getting up and messing up my hair. I glared at him before slightly fixing it and throwing him a middle finger over my shoulder. I heard him laugh while he welled further away.

"Ryder!" I heard Vera's voice yell from somewhere near me. I looked around and once I spotted her I saw her waving like a manic while pointing down at her sweater. I laughed at her enthusiasm while pointing down at mine as well. She practically ran over to me before jumping on my back and laughing.

Did I forget to mention she was always extremely excited the day before thanksgiving break since she didn't have to go to school for a whole week. As soon as she was secure on my back I started running around the front of the school while laughing with Vera. People gave us strange stares while some people actually looked at us in awe. At one point Ethan had joined us but I hadn't noticed and I didn't really mind since me and Vera would be spending thanksgiving week together.

We eventually stopped doing that after a while with me erring tired of running around and carrying Vera so we stopped and sat down in the grass just enjoying the last day before break.

"So apparently our families are doing thanksgiving together" Ethan said while looking up at the sky from where he laid.

"That'll be interesting" Vera said while laughing lightly.

"Yup our mothers all in the same kitchen with different embarrassing stories of us to share will be lovely" I said while peeking at Vera from the corner of my eye.

"You know I still remember that story of you that your mom told last year" Vera said while laughing.

"What was the story from last year" Ethan asked curiously.

"Don't you dare" I told her warningly but she just laughed it off and continued.

"When Ryder here was a baby, or toddler whatever he used to hate wearing dippers so one day when he was in the bath tub and his mom went to get a towel for him he ran out of the bathroom naked." Vera said while laughing extremely hard.

"H-he w-was a b-baby streaker" she struggled to say while she continued to laugh. I to laughed at the story, I dot think remember the day extremely well but I do remember I made it as far as the front garden in our front lawn. Some of our old neighbors still remember that story.

"Okay I'm not the only one with embarrassing childhood stories" I said while looking at Vera with a mischievous look. She looked at me confusedly before she caught on to what I was implying.

"Ryder Edward Collins, don't you dare" she said while sitting up and glaring at me.

"You see Ethan two years ago when we were at my house for thanksgiving Vera" I was cut of when Vera jumped on top of my and covered my mouth with her hands.

"Ryder if you continue this story I will never talk to you again" Vera said while keeping her hand on my mouth even though I licked it.

"Nod if you promise you won't continue the story" she said while glaring at me. I slowly nodded before she moved her hands.

"Now that we've settled that lets get to class" Ethan said while looking at us amusedly.

"Do we have to" I groaned while slowly standing up and going to help Vera up. Before I could reach her Ethan had already stuck his hand out for her and she was standing up. I ignored the feeling of jealousy burning inside of me before following the two of them to our first class.

This thanksgiving break was going to be different, I was going to push my feelings for Vera aside and spend time as friends and it was going to be great, I thought while entering the first class of the day.