Chapter 23: Don't let go

Hiccup's POV

"Sigurd." I snarled and out of the corner of my eye I could see the blood drain from Astrid's face as she seemed to struggle with keeping her axe up.

"Now that we've all gotten to catch up a little," Dagur face darkened as he raised his battle axe. "Let's get to the reason why we're here. It's time for my revenge."

"How did you guys even meet?" Confusion laced Astrid's words as she looked between her two previous captors.

Dagur and Sigurd shared a grin. "After you left, I figured if I wanted to get you back, I'd need some backup. Then one evening I was out on the town, I overheard two Berserkers talking about how their Chief was planning on burning Berk to the ground due to some revenge mission he was on. Naturally, I traveled to Berserker island, told Dagur my story and we found that we had a lot in common as well as shared interests."

"Of course, I ended up killing those two Berserkers for going around and talking about my plans. Shortly after that we combined our forces into the Berserker armada and here we are." Dagur swung his battle axe around in circles as the wicked grin stuck on his face grew even wider.

I kept my glare set on Sigurd as he leaned casually on his sword, a smug grin on his face. He blew a kiss in the direction of Astrid, which made her flinch as she took a small step closer to me, raising her axe with shaky hands. I felt the blood boil in my veins as Toothless growled at the two men in front of us.

"So you're here for revenge as well then, Sigurd?" I spat his name as inferno blazed in my hand, itching to bury itself in Sigurd's chest.

Sigurd chuckled as he casually cracked his knuckles. "No, no, that's Dagur's thing. I'm only here to take what is mine."

I could have sworn I heard a whimper escape Astrid as she seemed to be cowering behind me. Toothless' tail curled around her feet as the dragon bared his sharp teeth at Sigurd before once again turning to keep watch of Dagur.

"She's not your property Sigurd, nor will she ever be. Astrid belongs to Astrid alone. Not anyone else." I stated as the back of my hand brushed against Astrid's. Her pinky wrapped around mine and I knew that she was grateful for what I had said.

"By the looks of it," Sigurd snickered as he looked Astrid up and down. "I think Astrid knows she belongs more to me than she belongs to herself, well, at least her body does."

My eyes widened as I looked between Astrid and Sigurd, finally connecting the dots as Astrid shamefully avoided my gaze and shrunk even further. "Astrid, please tell me he didn't do what he's insinuating he did."

Astrid remained quiet as laughter rippled through Sigurd, which seemed to be contagious as Dagur burst into maniacal laughter as well. "She didn't tell you about all the fun we had during our time together, did she?"

I whipped my head towards Sigurd as I was ready to rip him apart limb-by-limb. "You son of a bitch."

Sigurd chuckled as he picked up his sword and got into a fighting stance. "Don't worry, Chief Hiccup, I'll take good care of her when you die. Hell, I'll even make sure our heir lives to see it's first birthday!"

And that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I charged at Sigurd, sword raised high before I rapidly struck down and managed to singe the tips of his hair before he blocked my blow. At the same time, Toothless and Astrid had gone up against Dagur.