Chapter 7: Sick

Astrid's POV

"I-I just feel so bad for leaving you so soon after my accident ..." Hiccup admitted, furrowing his brows as he placed his hands on his hips with an exasperated sigh.

I slithered my arms around his waist and looked him in the eye. "If anyone should feel guilty for letting someone leave then it's me, not you, silly."

"It's just ... so soon." Hiccup sighed, his head falling as he refused to meet my eyes. I smiled, placing two fingers under his chin as I forced him to look at me. It had been two weeks since Hiccup and Toothless had crashed into a sea-stack, and Hiccup had begun rambling about my death. Fortunately, it only took Hiccup a few days to adjust back to normal, but then Hiccup was presented with the fantastic opportunity of an alliance with some powerful tribes, which he simply could not deny. Unfortunately for Hiccup, the meeting would be held about a day away by flight, which kind of sent him into a small frenzy.

"Hiccup, it's going to be alright, I'm going to be alright. Berk will still be standing when you come back, no need to worry." I reassured him as I brushed his bangs away from his eyes.

"You're certain about that?" Hiccup raised a brow as I could feel his hold around me tighten.

"Yes, now go! You don't want to be late to discuss the alliance!" I urged him as I pressed a quick kiss to his lips and pushed him in the direction of his dragon, who was rolling around in the grass that surrounded our house.

Reluctantly, Hiccup climbed on Toothless and set off for what we had both assumed to be long negotiations. I waved at the duo with a smile as I watched them disappear into the clouds above.

"So, the old man's finally gone?" Tuffnut asked as he walked up beside me, alongside his sister, squinting at the sun as his hands rested upon his hips.

I turned to the twin with a slight frown. "He's not that much older than you, Tuffnut."

"Don't listen to him, Astrid, you know he's missing some screws in the old nogaroon." Snotlout remarked, earning a glare from the twins as he and Fishlegs joined the rest of us.

I shook my head with a loud sigh. "Perhaps I shouldn't have let Hiccup go after all?"

"Perhaps you should, perhaps you shouldn't. Does anyone really now?" Ruffnut spoke as she rubbed her chin, looking like she was in deep thought. I couldn't help but shake my head at her. When had any of those twins ever made sense? But it was as I was busy being disappointed by the twins that my stomach suddenly felt on edge. A wave of nausea washed over me, and I could barely stand straight without wanting to fall to the ground and empty the contents of my stomach all over the green grass.

"Enough chit-chat. What do you all say we go and grab some meade at the Great Hall?" Snotlout suggested, but I was too nauseous to even focus, to nauseous to even keep my mouth closed.

Ruffnut and Tuffnut exchanged a quick look with each other before shrugging. "Eh, were in."

My friends turned and began their trek up the stairs to the Great Hall, not even bothering to ask about my opinion before going. Not that I was in any shape to even move, just the thought of putting anything in the near vicinity of my mouth was making my unbearable nausea grow even worse. Regardless, I followed after them.

As I struggled to keep up with my friends, suddenly, Fishlegs stopped and turned around. "Astrid, are you alright? You look a little pale."

I gathered up all my strength as I forced myself to stand up straight and wave up at my friends. "I'm fine! Just give me a minute and I'll be right—"

I couldn't keep it in a second longer. I could feel the contents of my stomach bubbling with anger as my breakfast made its way back up my throat before launching itself out of my mouth and straight onto the previously green grass.

"Astrid!" Fishlegs cried out as my friends all ran back down the stairs, worry etched into all their faces as they placed their hands on my back. I fell to my knees before bending over and releasing what I hoped to be the last of my breakfast from that morning.

"Wow, Astrid." Tuffnut scrunched his nose in disgust as he held my braid. "Talk about ruining the mood."

"Tuffnut!" Ruffnut hissed at her brother as he earned shaking heads from both Snotlout and Fishlegs.

When I was certain there was nothing left in my stomach, I sat down, sweat trickling from my temples as I refused to meet the eyes of any of my friends. Suddenly, the want to have my dear husband at my side grew stronger and stronger.

"You guys can go now, I'll take care of Astrid." Ruffnut said in the most genuine tone I had ever heard, making me wonder if it was actually Ruffnut who had said it. And to no one's surprise, none of the boys made a big fuss about it as they quietly stood up and walked the stairs up to the Great Hall.

"Come on, Astrid, let's get you inside." Ruffnut smiled as she helped me to my feet and guided me towards my house, where she sat me down in a chair as she prepared a cup of water for me.

"Thank you, Ruffnut, you really didn't have to do this for me." I shot Ruffnut a weak smile as I gracefully accepted the cup of water and carefully sipped on its contents.

Ruffnut shrugged as she sat down on the chair opposite of me. "Eh, it's really not that big of a deal. You would've done the same for me."

"Still, thank you." I smiled at her, and for a minute, we just sat in silence and watched one another.

"You know what I'm looking forward to, Astrid?" Ruffnut asked as she leaned back in her chair, resting one hand on her stomach.

I raised a brow at her as I took yet another sip of my water. "I have no idea, but please, enlighten me."

"I'm looking forward to Fall Fest, and all the delicious foods that come with it!" Ruffnut admitted as she licked her lips hungrily and looked to be imagining everything from cooked turkey to yak chops.

I furrowed my brows at her. "Ruffnut, Fall Fest is months away."

"Unfortunately, I am very aware of that. But that won't stop me from fantasizing about those beautiful, glazed turkey legs."

"You do that, I'll be busy drinking my water." I shook my head at her as I once again brought the cup to my lips.

"How are you feeling, by the way?" Ruffnut asked as she sat up straight and eyed me curiously.

"I feel a whole lot better, and for some strange reason, I could really do with some Meade and a buttered roll of fat-wrapped yak-bladder." I admitted to Ruffnut, who looked a bit taken aback by my statement.

Ruffnut got up from her chair and walked over to the door. "Well, What do you say we go see if they got anything of that sort in the Great Hall?"