Chapter 14: Birth

Hiccup's POV

I watched as Astrid dug her head into the pillow, hands gripping onto the sheets so tightly her knuckles were turning white, all whilst panting heavily. I furrowed my brows as I watched her. Gods, did it hurt to see her in that much pain. With each scream and whimper that escaped her, I could feel my heart contracting painfully in my chest as she thrashed around in the bed.

"I-I can't do this, it hurts so much." Astrid whimpered, tears running down her cheeks as the violent crimson color in her face began to fade and she had a chance to catch her breath.

I took her hand in mine and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "I know it hurts, babe, but you've got to keep going."

Astrid growled as she gritted her teeth, her face contorting in pain as her hand squeezed mine, almost to the point of breaking, before she let out another scream. "I've been doing this for four hours, I can't take it anymore!"

As Astrid let go of my aching hand, I glanced over at Gothi, hoping that she would confirm that there was indeed not much time left before the final pushes, but she just shook her head slowly at me before running out of the room to grab what I assumed to be another towel.

I placed my focus back on Astrid, whose contraction had eased down. Once again, her face was a deep crimson, small beads of sweat ran down her temples and her lips were chapped from the intense physical pressure she was under. I ran a hand over her damp hair, hoping to ease her pain just a little.

Tired ocean blue eyes met mine, the usual glitter in them having vanished long ago. The exhaustion she felt was evident, and I touched into the feeling that she might not make it through the birth. I gave her hand a soft squeeze as I pressed a kiss to her warm forehead.

"Hiccup, I'm so tired." She sighed, closing her eyes momentarily as she leaned back into the pillow that supported her back.

I bit my lip, distant memories of losing her on the battlefield suddenly making a reappearance in my mind. Gods, I remembered how awful it had been to lose her back then, to see her bleed out and not be able to stop it in any kind of way, but somehow, watching the light slowly fade as she gave birth to our child was even worse.

"I-I know, babe, I know. You've just got to get through this, and once you do, you can rest for as long as you want." I ran a hand over her hair once again. She attempted to smile, but it was twisted into a strange grimace as another contraction rippled through her.

Suddenly, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned and found Gothi beckoning me to follow her outside, where Gobber was waiting.

"Hey, lad." Gobber greeted me as I stepped outside, where I found all of my friends including my mother also gathered, sitting on the benches that had been set up outside Gothi's hut.

"Why am I out here? My wife needs me in there!" I stated firmly, wishing for the conversation to be over as quickly as it had begun.

"Listen Hiccup, Gothi thinks it's best if you take a short break, let your mother help Astrid instead. They have a good relationship, you know?" Gobber said, as I exchanged a look with my mother, who seemed desperate to go help her daughter-in-law.

"Please, Hiccup, I can see that you're tired as well, let me help." My mother shot me a small smile as she placed a hand on my shoulder.

I took a moment to think it through, before nodding. "Fine. But just a small break, alright?"

My mother's smile widened as she pressed a kiss to my forehead. "Of course, son."

Mom quickly disappeared inside, and I was left sitting on the bench with my friends. I took a deep breath, filling my lungs with the fresh air of the mountains as I closed my eyes.