1: Jane Blanchard

1: Jane Blanchard

(Cover by: britishstylesxx a girl I've grown to love. Tysm bby, ily. Check out her acc!)

I fixed my stare at the ruby necklace my mother placed around my neck this afternoon. The stone glistened across the dim room, sending me a frosty wave down the spine. I sat on bed, thinking. How did I get myself placed in such situation? It all seemed unreal to me but the only reason that keeps me convinced is that I would rather take the consequences than to let my family die.

Die. Is that even the word?

Dying isn't one in the million categories the golden scroll read this morning. But all of these seem to answer my thoughts. There is a heavy load of possibility that death is the charge for something I am clueless about.

But it's not like I am left with any choice.

I couldn't make out the words clearly but the muffled voices from downstairs gets louder and louder. All the roaring and screaming drastically echoed inside the big room which now resembled to a cell. For a moment, it led me to thinking of breaking through my window; believe that nothing will ever happen.

This must be a nightmare I'm living because we used to be happy and perfect. I'm confused, threatened and frustrated. I have known from the very start that I am unwanted and everybody knows that, at least.

"No Claire, no more arguments!" A voice snapped me back to reality.

My heart thudded.

"Gabriel, it is the only way. Otherwise, you'll get killed, we'll all get killed." My mother countered, her voice filled with anger. The eagerness had hurt me with no denial.

I tried to convince myself that she has her reasons for all those years she had treated me far from what a daughter deserves. Despite of all the love and concern that I have for her, there's a puny bit of anger that is slowly building up. What made it so easy for her to throw away her own flesh and blood?

"Jane will not be responsible for some mistake I did." My father argued back.

I hoped the words wouldn't register as quickly as they leave their lips. But try as I may to runaway from it, my mother is right. It is the only way. My heart drummed louder and faster as I stood up with shaking knees.

I twisted the door knob with a sweaty, shaking hand. The atmosphere was clearly exhausted and even though I was looking anywhere but down, I could feel their stares piercing through me. I almost felt naked like they could see my soul.

My frail eyes landed on both my parents, "I'm coming."The words evaded my lips before I knew it and my voice was more prominent than usual, it was the first time I spoke today.

"Jane," My father sighed and the golden scroll slipped out of his touch. I watch it struggle bouncing before it had hit the end of the staircase.

I gulped the vile that formed in my throat and ignored the pain crushing my heart caused by the look on my father's face. I know this is the hardest for him. "I want to do it; I want to save the family."

Father took me by the hand before he broke down crying. I have never seen him so weak in my life. "Sweetheart, you are not doing this."

"But I want to." I insisted. I am used to lying every time and it scared me that I sounded too convincing this time around. "I swear I'll be fine." I guess the lopsided grin didn't convince him because I got no response.

"Moonpain wanted to get back on me, Jane. I have no idea the cost is worth this much. If there is one thing clear to me, it is he who owes me something not even all of his power could repay. But Jane, this is not for you to take."

"Father, I'll be alright." I brushed it off. I could hear the own lying in my voice but I couldn't let the weakness get into me. I couldn't change my mind and back out.

Vampires are mythological for me and they'd remain that forever. Little did I know that my fate would end up to one. Despite of all the cruelty, I am lucky I'm human. But I hated them because they're selfish and they always get what they want. They don't spare lives, they take the heartbeat out of you any moment they want to.

They're vile monsters.

I engulfed my father with one quick hug before I ran back to my room. It was the worst type of crying. My lips started shaking and tears build up quickly and fall fast. I'm bent over trying to suck it all in and I tried not to make any noise so as to pretend I'm fine. But who am I fooling? It hurts too much.

I let out a yelp and before the familiar darkness penetrated my senses.

~

I looked at my reflection on the mirror one last time and I'm pretty sure I still looked the same: dumb wearing one of the finest dresses. My mother personally fixed everything needed for the ball tonight. I don't get it, I am a servant not some dressed up princess for the role.

"Fair enough, you're set!" Lady Claire, my mother clasped, her lips curved up into a wide smile. "Go join your brother. The carriage is already waiting for you, my dear."

I gave her a quick glance and sighed inwardly. Nodding, I headed to the staircase. The heels I'm wearing made impact with the marble floor.

I found Trevor sitting on the couch, his eyes not leaving the ground. He might be feigning oblivion but I know he knows what's going on and why suddenly, the Blanchards are invited to a ball.

"Trevor." I spoke fiercely, meeting his gaze.

He rushed to me to link arms and after debating with his own mind he spoke, "I heard the news."

"Don't remind me." I sighed, my breath shaking.

He led me to carriage, assisting me as I get in. Finally, the horses roared. Vampires; My mind repeated again. How will I survive the night in a place full of vampires? Then again, how will I survive a lifetime with such?

"Would you want me to take you away?" Trevor speaks, earning my attention. I stared at him for a moment and let out a very weak chuckle.

At least he's trying. In times like this, nothing and none could make me feel okay but knowing that my brother's holding my back, I could feel alright for a split second. I nodded and forced a faded smile. "Take me away then."

He smirked and dropped an arm over my shoulder. "You can always change your mind."

"Change my mind." I repeat. "Trev, even if I do, there's nothing to it. Eventually, I'd still end up serving a vampire lord."

My brother remained silent knowing I was on point. After a while, he spoke again. "There's nothing that vampire could do to make you give up. In fact, you'll make him give up." He grinned. "Just please, don't let anyone drive you where they want to take you. At the end of the day, be brave enough to fight for your heart's desire and follow the direction to where it beats."

x\\x
Hello, congratulations! You survived the first chapter, thank you for reading. :) This is already the edited version and unfortunately, the rest of the story is still under major editing. As you all know, the sequel is soon to come so I'm finishing off parts. But yay, glad to be back!! N x