publicity

Zen's POV

The next day, Cameron didn't show up during home room. I didn't know why I felt a ping of disappointment - maybe I secretly enjoyed his company. He did come off a bit cocky, but aside from that he was kind and showed interest in me, which was odd considering most people just gave me a weird look and moved along. I zoned out during the roll, someone had to snap their fingers in front of my face to get my attention when the teacher called my name, which made me freak the fuck out. I nearly fell off my chair for God's sake.

"Oh! Here." I muttered once I'd recovered.

Interval came. Still no Cameron. I started to feel more and more depressed as he didn't show up. I'd still beed paranoid about my hands since I got to school - despite me washing them repeatedly this morning. I was nearly late because I spent so much time on that. When lunchtime finally came, I took my usual route to the library. I didn't bother searching the school uncomfortably to look for Cameron this time. Just as I was staring at the handle to the library's entrance, I heard quick footsteps approaching me from behind. I jumped out the way and looked up at who it was-

Cameron!!

"Uh, hey!" I said as I eyed him from head to toe. "Where have you been?"

"Field trip. Sorry I didn't text, we had to tun our phones off." He grinned. "Did you miss me?"

"You wish." Yes.

Cameron's POV

I chuckled at Zen's supposed hatred for me. I really, really like her.

"So uh, Zen," I started. How was I going to pull this off? I'd never asked anyone out before.

"Hmm?" She responded, flicking through the pages of a National Geographic magizene.

"I was wondering if-" She looked up at me with those big dark eyes of hers. They were close to black. "...you wanted to tag along with me after school? I gotta go shopping for some things."

"Uhh," she looked really distressed, as if tied between life and death.

"You don't have to if you don't want to ya know, I was just wondering if you'd like to join me." I chuckled, placing a hand behind my neck to rub it.

I wanted her to come.

"No! I do. I want to go with you." She grinned, her face lighting up. Yes!!

"Well awesome! Where do you want to meet after school?" I asked.

"Umm. How about behind the library? I usually hang around an isolated location for a while before walking home. You know, less people to possibly bump into." She explained cooly. Oh, this was because of her condition.

"That's totally cool! No worries at all." The bell half-interrupted my conversation. "Ah, damn. Well, I'll see you in an hour?" I beamed, earning a grin from her also.

"Sounds good, bad boy."

'Bad boy'? How am I bad?? Was it my confidence? My random approach to her?? Oh well. I kinda liked it. Made me feel kinda badass. Plus, maybe she was into that kind of guy. I spent the rest of the period daydreaming about Zen and maybe dirty thoughts as well. If I wanted to hold her hand, I'd have to wear gloves probably. Before I knew it, the bell startled me out of my seat. I packed my things, grabbed my bag and strolled out the door.

I waited about five minutes outside the library. I checked my phone, wondering if she forgot to come here - no. She said she usually comes here after scho-

"Hey." A female voice from behind me greeted, cool as ice. I turned around to what I expected - Zen. Today she had her hair slicked back into a high ponytail, she looked astonishing.

"Heya! You ready to go or should we wait longer?" I asked with a friendly grin.

"Just a little longer. Give it a couple of minutes, the school clears out pretty fast." She responded, glancing at her shoes. I nodded and looked through the library window. It wasn't much of a place, but it was pretty spacey which is nice, I can see why Zen likes it so much. She pulled something out of her pocket - I only got a quick look but even from that I could tell it was hand sanatizer.

"You want some?" She offered. I nodded in response. "Okay. Hold out your hands. Don't touch the bottle."

"Of course." I said, still grinning. She squeezed some of the anti-bacterial liquid into my palms, and I rubbed them together thoroughly until all of it evaporated into my skin.

"I was kind of hoping you'd accept my offer," Zen confessed, a light shade of pink dusting over her pale cheeks. "Not to be a prude or anything, but it makes me trust you more. Weird, I know."

"It's not weird at all!" I blurted out. I didn't want her to feel weird around me. "Uhh, if we both held hands while wearing gloves, would that be okay?"

Zen blinked. "You...you want to hold hands with me?" She asked in disbelief.

"Yes!" I chuckled.

"Well, honestly we wouldn't even need gloves. We'd both just have to sanatize before we do so." She beamed. I'd never seen her smile like that before.

Now it was my turn to be in shock. "Really? Are you sure?" I double-checked.

"Yes, I said I trusted you didn't I?" Her smile became a kind of sly.

"Well then Zen, I'm over the moon to hear that from you." I winked.

"Yeah alright Prince Charming, we can go now." She rolled her eyes at me.

"You lead the way."