Chapter 35 Bamboo and Banana Leaves

Elle held her breath waiting for the verdict. In her heart there was no question what it would be but in her head, fear danced to a sinister tune as it laughed at her dread.

"We the jury of the ship Maid Mary find the defendant, guilty on  both counts. We have agreed to put the punishment up to a ships vote in two days." The forman said. He nodded his head stiffly and sat.

Bartard exploded in absolute rage. He stood with a primitive yell, grabbed the chair he had sat in and lubbed it towards the jury. The jury moved quickly and avoided most serious injury. It slammed into two of the jurors but no blood was spilled and no bones broken.

Two crew members tackled Bartard. A third helped them drag the screaming man from the room. Bartard yelled abuse to every member of the crew, thrashed in the confining hands of the crew members. He loudly and violently screamed that it was all a set up. He swore to Jr, Elle and Talbot that if it were the last thing he did he would kill them all.

Threatening the Captain's life on his own ship was a death sentence in its self. Still everyone seemed to ignore the mans enraged threats.

Elle's heart thudded against her ribs long after Bartard's screamed threats faded from hearing.

Without an order being given the crew moved about the room. Tables and chairs were returned to their respective areas. The wooden splinters of the thrown chair were gathered and removed. Elle was helping place the last chair in its place when Jr touched her on the shoulder.

She turned her head and found a smiling Jr. Happily she returned the smile.

"How was the island?" She asked as she scooted the chair under the table.

"The same." Jr said. Elle noticed his voice was lighter then it had ever been in her hearing.

She laughed. "That sounds about right." She quipped.

"I heard the trial was over." He said a note of seriousness laced his voice. She nodded. They moved over the decking towards the door. "What are they gonna do? The punishment, I mean." He asked as they entered the corridor.

"There's a vote in two days. For now we wait." She said as she followed him. He was quite until they found their way to the main deck.

"You wanna go explore the island? You've been on ship since we dropped anchor." He asked as they stood below the crows nest.

"I don't-" she started but he gave her a pleading look.

"You haven't taken a minute of fun. You work or sit in on the trial. Trials over. Someone else can count cracks and hunt the rats. Please?" It was clear in his eyes that he expected her to say no. But his voice pleaded for her to say yes.

She sighed. "Alright, Jr. We'll explore the island but," She looked around the deck searching for Harv. "I need to tell Harv where I'll be and make sure I'm not needed here. If he agrees - I'll go." She agreed with a smile. Jr smiled back. His almost white, crooked teath shone between his dry dark rose lips.

"Great. I'll get my sword and bow. There are snakes and boar on the island." With that he turned and practically sprinted away.

Elle shook her head and went in search of Harv. It only took her ten minutes to find him. He was coming out of the captain's office.

"Elle." He said when he caught sight of her. "I hope you didn't take Bartard's threats seriously." He told her.

"No." She assured him. She really hadn't given it a thought. "Jr wants to explore the island. He wants me to come along. I told him I would if I wasn't needed here." She said as they moved down the staircase from the poopdeck.

"That's fine. He should know that island like his own palm by now." Harv told her.

"Yeah. He's been there alot. So you really don't need me here? We have to be ready to sail in two days." She reminded him.

"Elle, we're at anchor. Most of the minor repairs have been seen to already. The cargo hasn't been disturbed. You're fine to go."

A shirtless, shoeless crew member slowly made his way past. He worked a line over the lenght of his forearm. Sweat glistened on his sun bronzed skin. Elle felt a moment of guilt. "Are you sure?" She asked as she turned back to Harv. He gave her a reproving look.

"If you don't want to go, then tell him. I'll not be your excuse."

"No! It's not that. I do want to. Its just I've spent hours sitting at the trial I feel like I'm not pulling my weight." She confessed.

"When you weren't at the trial, you worked. Taking the rest of the day to explore won't hurt anything. Now go." He ordered.

She smiled and nodded. She found Jr coming up from the crew deck. His sword was strapped to his hip. A long simple bow was clutched in one fist. A leather quiver of arrows hung on his back.

"Sorry. I had to string it." He lifted the bow to show her what he meant. "I've only got three strings left." He said absently. "I'll need to get a few at the next port." He readjusted the quiver. They found the row man and he agreed to take them to shore.

It seemed that Cook had left a message for the next person to go ashore. He wanted some bamboo and banana leaves. The row man looked just as confused as Elle felt.

"Give me a few minutes." She told both men. The row man shrugged, uncaring. Jr nodded. Elle made her way to the galley. Cook was working at one of the tables choping bundles of herbs. Piles of prepped vegetables and roots were piled orderly on the table.

"Bamboo and banana leaves?" Elle asked before he noticed her. He looked up.

"And I have men digging a pit." He wiggled his eyebrows at her. "Plus I promised exta helpings to any one that kills a boar to cook today."

Elle rolled her eyes. Now it made since. A beach bake! With a laugh she confessed, "Sorry, Cook, I was starting to think you lost your rocks."

"Bite your tongue. I'm as sane as I am, I tell you." He joked. "So you going to shore?" She nodded. As she moved to stand by him. "Remind them rapscallions I want a big boar not some tiny piglet."

Elle nodded again. She snagged a hunk of carrot. It was slightly whithered but it was sweet and crunchy. Cook lifted a brow at the noise she made as she chewed.

"Have Jr or Nathan show you my garden. I could use some more Thyme. And carrots." He picked up a piece of carrot.

"I'm going with Jr— wait. You have a garden– on the island?" She asked dumbfounded.

"Planted it my self seven years ago. It grows up and the weeds and forest try to take it back but we get by here ever so often, so it survives." He popped the root in his mouth and chewed. The carrot crunching just as loudly as hers had.

Elle was sure no one else did that kind of thing. "A deserted island garden? Cook, you may be as sane as you are but you are crazy wonderful." She told him with a grin. She leaned over and gave him a hug and a fast kiss on the cheek.

He blushed so deeply it made her laugh harder. He pointed to the door. "Out of here with ya." He had a half grin on his lips but he was pointing at the door with knife bigger then some daggers. In the lamp light it seemed to shine proudly.

Still laughing she fled.