Chapter 2 Discovered

Chapter 2

The captain was a Captain James Talbot. At nineteen, Ella found him quite handsome in a scary way. The scar along his right jaw added to his intrigue.

Tonight they dropped anchor off the coast of France. Three boats had taken the crew ashore. Only two men remained over the weekend, men came and went. She longed to go ashore but knew the docks were heavily patrolled.

She had no desire to swim in the cold waters again so she stayed on ship and hidden. There were times she moved about the ship just because she could no longer force herself to remain in her self-imposed confinement. She used her small size and exceptional hearing to her advantage. At night, she stole to the deck and watched as France slept.

Concealed she watched. She heard no noise so the heavy hand on her shoulder stopped her breath in her throat.

"What ye be doin boy" the voice of the first mate asked.

Ella turned. His eyes narrowed. "Who is ye? Wha'ye be doin 'ere?" he grabbed her by the shoulder and started dragging her. "The Cap'n el wanna see ya."

Ella shuffled her feet and tried not to fall as he dragged her along. He banged on the door below the poop deck. He banged again. It swung open and banged the wall.

"What?" the captain bellowed.

"I foun' es ere crab by yer quarters sir." answered the first mate quickly. The captain motioned them inside.

He shoved her hard in to the room. Elle stumbled and fell. He laughed and the captain glared.

"Get up, boy." the captain commanded. She did so quickly. Harve shut the door.

"I wanna be your page boy," she blurted out in a rush of words. She was desperate to not be sent back. They both laughed at her.

"Aint no such thing ere boy- we's pirate." Harve said with a sneer.

She knew what they were. Her face showed no surprise. Straitening her back, she said "Fine. I'll be your runner then."

The captain looked her up and down. For once Elle was thankful for the dirt that concealed her features.

Harve blurted out, "Yers just a wisp. Aint got not a trace of 'air on ye chin. Why'd we need yous fur?"

Elle glared at him. How dare he try to rune her chance? "I been on this ship a month and not been seen or caught. I can go anywhere the Captain sends me. My size works to the advantage." she spoke rudely and with more anger then confidence.

"Ye aint been ere no mont." Harve said accusingly. She laughed at him. He made a move toward her. yet the captain stopped him with one word.

The captain then said. "If the crab's tale is true then it can be proved. Show us boy."