Chapter 18 Misunderstanding

Elle rolled over on the bed then lay perfectly still. She knew she wasn't on the ship, there was no tale tale sway, no sound of the waves hitting the Hull, there was no hard lump on the mattress by her hip, and the sound of distance voices was also not present.

Her eyes opened and she felt the stab of light. She closed her eyes and groaned. She wondered if she would ever learn. Alcohol was not her friend and the allure of a few hours of numbness was highly overrated. The next morning the pain was far worse then the temporary reprieve justified. She groaned again.

Elle stretched and realized she was dressed in a soft shirt. Her breast were unbound. Her clothes were folded and sat on the dresser. The strips for binding her breast were piled neatly on top of them. She rummaged through the pile and found her old clothes as well as the ones that Zara had given her. She dressed quickly after performing the tedious task of binding her chest.

It wasn't until she was completely dressed that she realized that the sunlight from the window was dimmer then it had been when she woke.

She lifted an eyebrow and hoped that she hadn't slept for days. She had heard that could happen but had never seen it or experienced it herself.

Zara must have been the last to see her so she would be the one to ask.

If she had then the Captain wouldn't be pleased. She had messages to pick up, as well as ones to possibly deliver. 

The captain already didn't like her she didn't want to give him more reason to detest her. She was already going to the convent, something she didn't want to do, she certainly didn't want to speed up the process. She hurried downstairs and to the common room of the tavern.

None of the others were present. She found an empty table in a dark corner.  A pretty tiny brunette appeared.

"We got mutton, corn off the cob, peas, carrots, potatoes, rye bread or drop bread."

"Mutton, potatoes, and drop bread." She said giving the girl a thoughtful look. She wondered if she knew how lucky she was. Elle doubted it. She had forgot what it was like to have a normal life.

The woman started to name all the ales and other brews but Elle shook her head. "Water. Just water." She looked at her. She even felt a mild envy for the girls normal existence. 

She didn't care if the woman thought she was strange for ordering water in a tavern. She ignored the look she was given.

"Do you have any cheese?" She asked. Now the woman truly looked startaled. Elle smiled at her. She had meant the smile to be reassuring. The headache and sore muscles caused it to appear more of a sneer. The woman made a squacking noise, jerked her head in an affirmation, and fled.

The lantern lights barely reached her corner and for that Elles head was thankful. She hoped that some food would go a long way in easing the pain. The last time she had drank so much had not left her in such a state as this. 

The meager light from a lantern was blocked as someone approached. She released a heavy breath as she looked up.

It was Deanton strolling up to her table. He didn't look happy. Elle crossed her arms defensivly over her bound chest. She leaned back in her chair and looked up at him. He stopped and placed a big meaty hand on the chair across the table.

"What did you say to my niece?" He demanded.

Elle scowled up at him clearly confused. She shook her head. She gave him the gist of the short conversation.

"That's it?" He asked looking at her like someone would a bug they had never seen. "She's not one of the working girls. I'll not have men leering at her. I don't care if they are too young do anything about it."