Chapter 13 In the Mind of a Pirate

Unable to remain still she paced beneath the tree. She began muttering to herself.

"Come on, Harv." She knew that she couldn't wait much longer she had to deliver the captains messages. She knew that the captain was usually going to be the last one to reach shore but she wanted to reach the Hog Head before he did.

"Harv, you crusty old ..." She froze and closed her mouth as a twig snapped behind her. Letting out a sigh she turned expecting Harv.

"No. Please continue."

She swallowed the lump that had suddenly bloomed in her throat. She straightened her spine and forced herself to breath normally.

"Captain." she blurted stiffly.

Harv stood by the tree but to his left stood Captain Talbot. Her eyes darted between them. She couldn't help the accusing look as her eyes met Harvs.

"Harv." she said much sturdier.

"He insisted, lass." Harv told her. He could see in her eyes that she felt betrayed.

Captain Talbot stepped forward. "Have you delivered my messages yet?"

Her eyes swung back to the captain.

"No sir." She said thankful that her voice did not convey her nervousness.

His eyebrow lifted. "Go. You can visit with Harv when your work is done."

Although she wanted to protest she didn't dare. She knew that despite the vote he could turn her away from the ship if he so chose.

She turned and fled down the street. She didn't even look over her shoulder.

******

The two pirates stood under the tree and watched as she sprinted down the packed dirt road.

When she was no longer in sight they moved down the road to the Hog Head. Elle knew to delivery the message replies there.

"You never asked me, Cap'n, why I kept the lasses secret." Harv stated calmly as he navigated around horse dung.

"I known you long enough to know ye had yer reasons, Harv." The captian told him, but Harv noticed his voice was stiff.

"So ya ain't mad at me?"

"No, I'm not. Was at first. Wanted to split you open. But not now."

Harv nodded. He had already known that the captain had been angry. For weeks he had waited for the anchor to drop, only it never had. The captain had avoided him and Harv had stayed out of his way as much as possible. There was no sense in tempting fate.

"It's dangerous for her to still be delivering the messages." the captain said changing the subject to one that had obviously been on his mind.

"She's fine. The lass has more stealth than a lion. I tried to follow her once. She's like catching air in your hands." Harv assured him.

"Where did she go?" the captain questioned glancing over at Harv.

"Don't rightly know. I had a little problem following her as she was delivering messages, but then it was like trying to harness a shadow." Harv explained as he marveled at the memory. "It was almost like she blended from one shadow to the other." He gave a harsh laugh. "Lost her over on L'Orange."

The captain seemed to mull over his words and then nodded his head slowly.

Harv didn't dare say so out loud but he had noticed the looks that the captain had been giving the lass. The looks had started before her true gender had been discovered. The initial looks had been a mixture of interest and disgust. Now the interest was still there but there was a weariness as well.