Chapter 32 Another Piece of the Puzzle

"Enough!" The captain bellowed loudly from behind the crates. Suddenly the others were there. They moved around the crate. All of their faces showed their emotions clearly. Shock, disgust, anger, and malicious intent were easy to read. Bartard recognized it. He jerked back from the bars. His eyes went from the captain to Elle.

"You cheap lil slag. You set the captain on me." He gave her an angry contentious grin. "It won't do you any good. Any of you." He made eye contact with almost everyone there. "My uncle won't allow you to hurt me."

"Actually, he'd never even know about it. People die at sea. Quite alot actually." Elle said. She made sure he was looking at her when she continued. "Last year we lost half the crew in one storm. One time we lost ten men to bad meat. On an island there were two that died of mushroom poisoning. My first year a man fell from the crowd nest." She paused. None of the others said a word. Paul was even silent. "My point is," she continued, believing he already knew, "that there are thousands of ways to die. You could even trip and fall on a sword." She reached out and turned the key he had left in the lock.

"Stop. He'll face ships Justice like everyone else." The captain said evenly.

"But Captain!" Elle protested.

"He as good as admitted to it, Captain. You heard him." Paul shrieked.

"Yes but we are not murderers. He will have a trial."

Bartard looked pleased.

"You are now confined to this cell in truth. You are now a true prisoner. The the luxuries that you have enjoyed shall now cease. Get used to it because even on a ship a trial could take a long time depending on the mood of the captain. And I am NOT in a good mood." The captain said looking at him directly.

"Trial on ship? Surely you don't expect to have a trial here."

"I could let Elle or Paul remove your worthless head if you prefer." He replied. The man addimently shook his head. "I thought not."

The captain reached out to Elle. "Keys." He watched her take the key out of the cell lock. "Both keys." He told her when she at first produced only the one key. She handed over the key from her pocket but did so reluctantly. He ordered everyone out.

Everyone moved to comply with the order.

"You can't do this. I'm a citizen of the Queen. I have rights." Bartard claimed loudly. His voice high and distressed.

"We are no longer in England Mr. Bartard. The only rights you have are the ones I give you. Be glad I'm even bothering with a trial. Its the only reason you're still alive right now." He told the man in an icy voice. He gave the path the others had taken a brief glance. "Make no mistake Bartard you are going to die. But Elle will not be the one to do it."

Bartard smiled smugly. "Don't pretend you're better then me, Captain. I see how you look at him too." Bartard walked up to the bars, wrapped his thick stubby fingers around them.

"That's the thing, you don't really see anything."
He turned and followed after the others.

He knew exactly what he wanted to do to the man in the cell. The problem was he had always been fair and believed in the system. He believed everyone deserved a trial. Another problem was that Bartard had insinuated the acts he wanted but not bluntly said them. If the case were heard in England then there may be a chance of doubt.

He felt the need to insure that didn't happen. He also needed to talk to Nathan. He didn't want to make the boy uncomfortable but he needed to know if Bartard had approached him. From what Bartard said it seemed he had not but Talbot needed to be sure.

He found the boy in the galley kitchen working on a pile of potatoes.

"Hello Nathan."

Nathan looked up but didn't put the knife down as he smiled up at Talbot.

"Hi Captain." He said and went back to peeling a potato.

Talbot looked up at Cook. "Could I get a few minutes with Nathan?" He formed the words as a request but it wasn't. Cook glanced at the giant pot, placed the spoon the length of his arm on the counter across from the pot. He sent Talbot and Nathan concerned looks and left the galley.

"Nathan." The captain said as he pulled a chair up to the table. "I wanted to ask if you have met Mr. Bartard, the man in the cell." He put his elbows on the table in the only area not covered by potatoes or their pealing.

"No Sir. I was gonna take him an apple but Jr said I had to stay away from him." He picked up a potato and started pealing its skin with the little knife.

Talbot's face pinched as he tried to place Jr. He recognized the name but couldn't recall a face to match. He assumed it was a new member of the crew.

"Okay." Talbot told the boy. "Jr.'s right. Stay away from the cell. Bartard is permanently confined to the cells now." He pushed some of the peels to the center of the table. "It's best if you stay away from him. Bartard isn't a good man."

Nathan nodded sagely. "That's what Jr said too." He dropped the peeled potato and retrieved another. He didn't notice Talbot's eyebrows shoot up his forehead. "I stayed away. Jr is older den me. I can follow orders. I need to make moneys to take care of my sister. I follow orders." He was peeling the potato with fast sure strokes that showed he had done so many times.

"Yes, you do. And you've been a right help on this ship to." The captain assured him. He heard the boy give a reilved sigh.
Talbot felt like a git for not realizing the boy had been worried about his job.

"How old are you really Nathan? Your place on this ship is safe no matter what you tell me but I want the truth."

The boy stopped peeling and looked at at Talbot. He seemed to be studying he, testing the truth of his words.

"Fifteen, Sir." He finally confided.

Talbot nodded. He hoped his shock didn't show on his face. The boy was still looking at him intently. He was shocked because the boy looked no older then eleven or twelve. He was too small for his age, too skinny and still pale despite the month on the ship. He had no facial hair or even the beginning peach fuzz. He also wss too short but Talbot beloved he was telling the truth.

"And your sister?" He asked.

"She's still a baby Sir. Only two." He said with a smile.

Talbot pushed his way from the table. He nodded to the boy. "When we get to port I'll have some money sent to her caregiver if you'll give me the information. Come to my office tomorrow."

The boy nodded.

Talbot headed to the upper deck in search of the next piece of the puzzle.

Jr.

**** @kathrwest this early update is for you. Thanks for letting me know what I write has found an audience that appreciates it.

I love reading all comments so drop me few line. It can be about anything you want. I don't even mind constructive criticism, it helps me become a better writer.

Also if you enjoy this novel, please vote and share so others may get the chance to read it too.****