Two dead and One born.

“Where the fuck is she?” Sam shouts in Marcus’ face. He waits for the vampire to answer, his anger rising quickly. “Well?”

“She’s...” Marcus pauses, fearing Sam’s reaction. “She’s dead, Sam. She was drained and I watched some vampire bury her.” Sam throws his fist at the library wall and creates a hole in the sturdy building. “She has been made.”

“And why didn’t you stop it?” Sam’s hands shake as they hang by his side, his broken knuckles healing as they speak.

“I only got there when they were climbing in after her!” Marcus exclaims. “I didn’t act because there was nothing I could do.” Sam’s chest rises and falls with habit as he strains to calm himself.

“Who was it? Did you see? Was there a reason or...” Sam shakes his head, trying to find some reason that the human would have been made. “Or was this guy just a fucking idiot?” He spits.

“The vampire was female, that’s all I can tell you.” The large vampire watches the older vampire’s fist warily.

“Show me.” Sam orders. “We still have two hours of dark.”

They arrive at the human’s house, it is a small, detached house and not particularly pretty to look at. The blue paintwork is faded to a dull grey and cobwebs cover the front gate as they enter. They move silently around the house towards the back lawn and hide carefully by the side of the house. Sat on the grass in front of a large area of disturbed earth sits a woman with long red hair that hangs over her shoulders and she is wearing a denim jacket that fits her curved body perfectly, there is dirt on her shoulders and she wipes it away with a delicate hand.  Her crossed legs are clothed by skinny jeans and she wears brown boots on her feet. She seems unaware of their presence.

“Isn’t she supposed to be in there with her?” Marcus asks. Sam stares at the woman and he continues. “Any good maker would be down there with her, right?”

“She isn’t a good maker.” Sam says, finally peeling his eyes away from the woman to look at Marcus. He walks towards the woman and Marcus watches, confused.

“I thought we were hiding.”

“I’ve been waiting for you.” The woman says, looking over her shoulder as Sam approaches.

“What are you doing here, Charlotte?” He asks.

“Just checking in on you, making sure you aren’t ruining any innocent human lives.”

“Like you are?” He nods to the ground by her feet. “No, I’m still mainstreaming, just as you knew I would be.”

She laughs a cold, bitter laugh. “She wanted it Sam.” He scowls and she is delighted that he disapproves. “Oh yes, Carly asked me to take her life.”

“Why?” Sam asks as he struggles to put a face to the name that rings a bell in his memory.

“Well, she just had such a good time with that fool of yours over there,” She waves to Marcus and he moves to Sam’s side. “That when she bumped into me again she fell to her knees and begged it of me.” Charlotte licks her lips and laughs at Sam’s growl.

“Again?” Marcus asks.

She does not answer and her eyes remain on Sam. “What do you want Charlotte?” Sam hisses.

“It was just such a good way to get your attention.” She laughs.

“Who the hell is this?” Marcus gestures to the female vampire.

“Marcus, this is Charlotte, my maker.” Sam introduces her. There is bitterness in his voice.

July 1943, Sicily.