A life is taken.

Sky is introduced to the three vampires as they return to the house. Damian bows his head and kisses her hand. “It is a pleasure to meet you.” He says.

Paddy stares; making her feel uncomfortable and Sam sends him off to find something more productive to do than dribbling. If blood still pumped through his veins Paddy would have blushed as he removed himself from the room. 

Marcus does not greet her in anyway, he whispers in Sam’s ear and is sent away with an angry glare.

“Damian is a bit...” Jessica chooses her words carefully. “A bit formal, isn’t he?”

Sam nods and chuckles slightly, Jessica’s heart skips a beat at the sound she has not heard in so long. “He is very loyal. He will look after you.” Sam explains.

“I’ve looked after myself all this time.” She explains. “I don’t need any help now.” Sam lowers his head in shame and Jessica watches him carefully.

“I couldn’t come back.” He whispers. “If I could I would have stopped this from happening to you.” He waves his hand at her and clears his throat, a single drop of blood falling from his eye. “I promised I would come back and I didn’t.”

“I know.” Jessica interrupts. “I understand why you didn’t; it would have been dangerous for you to be around us.”

“I could have handled it.” He sniffed and wiped the red tear from his face. “I didn’t come back because I was scared.”

“Scared?” Jessica asks, confused.

“I was scared that you wouldn’t love me anymore.” Jessica walks to her father and hugs him tightly, rubbing his back. She couldn’t say anything to the man crying on her shoulder, how could she guarantee that her mother would still have wanted to be with him. “What happened to you, Sara?” Sam looks into his daughters eyes. “How did you end up the way you did?”

July 22nd, 1949

Sara Miles was a pretty girl, her black hair tied back in a bun, showing her face and piercing eyes. Her smile was known to distract even the most focused of men and the dress she wore showed all of her curves brilliantly.

Her laugh rang out through the quiet woods as she was pulled by her hand through the trees. The large hand that enveloped hers belonged to a boy of nineteen years old. His soft blonde hair was brushed back neatly and bobbed as he ran. He was tall and strong but his eyes showed no wisdom.

“Where are we going, Andrew?”  Sara laughs, trusting the keen eyes of the boy to lead her through the darkness of the woods.

“It a surprise.” She hears him say and a deep chuckle pleases her eardrums. It begins to grow lighter as they continue running and she can now see the form of Andrew in front of her, the light brown suit that he wears fits him perfectly but the trousers make it slightly difficult to run at his full speed. As the light continues to grow Sara smiles at what see sees.

They come to a stop at the edge of a small cliff and they look over the small town below them and the others that surround it. Lights flicker like stars and small figures of people walking the streets fill their view.

“It’s beautiful!” Sara shrieks excitedly, letting Andrews hand fall to his hand again and stepping forward. “How did you find it?”

“That’s a secret.” Andrew says, he taps the side of his nose and takes both her hands in his. “Happy birthday, Sara.” He smiles and leans in closer to kiss her. She lets their lips touch gently and pulls away, laughing mischievously.