Chapter 10

Pic of Mrs. Knight^^^ Played by Lauren Holly

The door slammed open and Mr. and Mrs. Knight rushed in, dad on their heels. Mrs. Knight was the first one to see me and gasped in horror.

"Maddie!" she yelled, falling down next to me. She touched my cheek and examined my face, horror laced in her features. Mr. Knight stood behind her and kept dad from coming closer

Water gathered in her eyes and Mr. Knight's face was both concerned and dangerous.

Mrs. Knight spun around and faced dad, who was still standing there.

"How could you do this to her?!" she screeched.

"This is your fault! You have messed in our life-"

"I have done nothing but for the good of the children. And apparently, that included getting you out of their lives." Mrs. Knight gritted.

Sirens sounded from outside and dad looked outside the still open door as a police car showed up.

He looked at Kirsten and glared.

"You called the cops?" he yelled.

"No," Mr. Knight said.

"I did."

Two officers, a man and a woman walked through the door and assessed the scene.

Before anyone could do anything, Kirsten went over the police, first making sure I wouldn't fall back.

She began to talk to them, the rest of the adults surrounding her as the situation was retold.

Johnny had been quiet the whole time and just sat beside me, watching everything unfold before him.

"Bud, why don't you go get your stuff?" I said, squeezing his hand. He looked at me, then nodded slowly. I watched as he raced up the stairs.

Another commotion brought my attention back to the front door. I wish I hadn't.

Blake stood in the doorway, confusion written all over his face. He seemed to scan everything going on, from the police to the yelling adults, and finally settled on me.

Shock covered his features and seemed to take an involuntary step back.

The officers noticed him and turned.

"You can't be here." the man said.

Before Blake could even react, I spoke up.

"No." I rasped.

Everyone turned to look at me.

"It's okay. I know him."

The officer looked back at his partner and she shrugged.

Blake looked unsure as if debating whether or not he should stay or go.

Finally, he took a hesitant step forward, then another one, until he had reached me.

He knelt beside me, his hands at his sides. He was still wearing his practice clothes I had last seen him in. He didn't say anything, just knelt there, looking at me in disbelief.

The adults had already turned back to their discussion, and we were left alone on the floor.

"What happened?" he finally asked quietly.

"My dad finally came home and we were at dinner when Kirsten showed up," I said, still whispering, and pointed at Kirsten.

"Mrs. Knight had called her, saying my dad was neglecting us. She thought so too and wanted to take Johnny and me away. He got mad and then he-he." I stopped, tears threatening to fall.

Eventually, I just pointed towards my face.

Blake nodded his head silently.

"I'm sorry you had to see all this," I said, my head down in shame.

"Blake?" Johnny said, appearing at the top of the stairs, a small duffel bag in hand.

Blake turned his head towards the stairs at his name.

" Hey, Bud." he said.

Johnny ran down the rest of the way and wrapped his arms around Blake's waist, dropping his bag in the process.

I think I was as surprised as Blake at this.

"It's okay," Blake said, gently patting his back.

He looked at me but I could do nothing but shake my head.

The strange this is, when I did, dizziness plowed down on me, making me temporarily lose my sight.

Pain bloomed at the back of my head and my eye started to throb. I didn't really notice, but it was now fully closed.

I swayed back and forth and Blake looked at me, concern plain on his face. He released Johnny and came closer, putting a supporting arm around my back.

"Are you okay?" he said.

I tried to look at him but when I did, my vision seemed to come and go.

"I don't feel the best," I admitted, my voice sounding distant even to my own ears.

He said something but I couldn't hear. It was like somebody suddenly put a mute button on my surroundings.

Blake turned his head and called to someone over.

The lady cop rushed over and hovered over me. Her lips moved but nothing came out.

Then I passed out cold.