Chapter VIII: Save The Last One

This is kind of a filler chapter but I needed to get them to the farm. Enjoy

______________________________

Chapter VIII: Save The Last One

Pain was the first thing I felt. Carl, little Carl, not even a teenager yet.

"WHAT," Lori screamed falling to the floor in a pain of tears. Her body shook with her sobbing.

Jacob began to cry and I held him close, his tears soaking my shirt.

"You have to come with me know," the women said.

Lori got up and followed her out of the camper and the woman lifted her up on the horse shed been riding.

"Where are you going we don't know her," I heard Dale say from the top of the camper.

"Carl's hurt," Lori replied.

"The house is just down the road you cant miss it, names Greene" the woman said to us and they rode off down the road.

"What do we do," Carol said looking to me. I thought for a second and then a had an idea.

I walked out of the camper and looked around at the vehicles that were scattered on the road. I walked back over to the red Kia, a Soul and opened the front door avoiding the peaceful family. I pried open the spot underneath the stearing wheel and allowed myself to think back to my time in the trailer park.

There were things I had learned during that time I wasn't proud of. How to Hotwire this car for example. I was good, too good. It wasn't my first time and I had a feeling it wouldn't be my last. I checked the tank half empty.

"Dale," I called up to him. He had been watching be and nodded understanding.

"You know when Daryl gets back he's gonna be pissed."

I nodded and walked back into the camper.

"Carol grab all your things," I said to her and she nodded gathering her and Sofia's stuff.

"I wanna stay," Jacob said to me.

"No absolutely not," I replied back to him shoving more things into my book bag.

"Please Lillie, I want to protect the RV and wait for Mr. Daryl," he said giving me the puppy dog eyes.

"It's all right Ill watch him Lil," T-Dog said.

I looked back at Jacob, then at T-Dog again. I was torn like when he wanted to go hunting. I was scared, we had already lost so many, and I wasn't willing to lose Jacob. The thought of him dying, killed me, but this was right I felt it.

"All right," I said," but don't leave the camper!" He nodded and I kissed him on the head," Stay safe."

As we drove away from the camper I kept peering at the mirror watching it shrink in the distance. He would be fine I silently told myself. T-Dog and Dale will watch them. I trust them, but I had also trusted Shane.

====================

When the mailbox marked Greene came into view I pulled into the gravel driveway and drove past pasture after pasture of land until a White House came into view.

Lori was on the porch crying into Ricks shoulder. He looked up as we pulled in front of the house.

"How is he," I asked getting out of the car.

"Fine for now," Rick replied.

"Maggie, Hershel's daughter was out in the woods looking for her sister and thought that Carl was a walker, it's a gift that she didn't have good aim," Lori said through the tears.

"It only grazed him, he's fine," Rick said.

An old man exited the house followed by the woman we had seen earlier and a young girl around sixteen.

"My names Hershel," the man said shaking me and Carols hand. "And these are my daughters, Beth," he said pointing to the youngest one, "and Maggie."

"Lillie, and this is Carol and her daughter Sofia," I said pointing to them. "Hello," Carol said nodding at Hershel.

"Welcome to my farm, your welcome to stay as long as you need to," he replied he was about to say something else but was cut off by the sound of motorcycle.

"Oh no here comes hell on wheels," Carol said.

"Mommy you said hell," Sofia said pulling on her Carols sleeve.

"Hush now Sofia, a storms coming."