chapter 17

It was lunch by the time they got outside, and neither of them had really had any breakfast, so they packed up some food and went to have a picnic at the top of a tall rock formation on the far side of the lake. When they sat down, Sin sat against a tree and Ross sat in his lap.

“Son of a bitch,” Ross groaned as he dug around inside of the backpack.

“What?” Sin asked quickly. He wanted to see Ross’s source of alarm as soon as possible, so he could make it better.

“We forgot to pack sodas,” Ross answered with a frown.

“Here,” Sin said, sliding his water bottle out of the bag and handing it to Ross. “I filled it up with regular and cherry Coke before we left. It’s like makeshift Dr. Pepper,” Sin said. Ross made a face signaling that this combination sounded disgusting.

“No, I swear, it’s actually really good,” Sin laughed. “Here, open your mouth.” He offered. Ross swallowed, his groin stirring. Sin had no fucking idea how dirty that sounded. Ross wanted nothing more than for that to have been Sin being dirty to him, but that would never happen. Ross opened his mouth, keeping his eyes locked on Sin’s. Sin bit his lip, realizing he just put his foot in his mouth. He wished he was telling Ross to open his mouth for a very different, much dirtier reason. Of course, he’d never tell him that. He pressed the water bottle against Ross’s lips. Ross wrapped his lips around it and Sin tilted the liquid back so that it slid down his throat. Fuck, Sin groaned internally, this boy makes everything sexy.

“Sin… what do you look for in a girl?” Ross asked. Sin felt like someone had kicked him in the windpipe.

“You have your eyes on someone right now?” Sin countered. Ross froze. What was the appropriate answer? He DID have his eyes on someone. YOU, JACKASS, BUT YOU’RE STRAIGHT! If he said yes, Sin would want to know what girl it was, and Ross hated lying to Sin.

“It doesn’t matter,” Ross exclaimed. Sin’s gut twisted once more. So he did have his eyes on someone. Whoever the girl was, she was a lucky bitch. She got to have the one thing that Sin wanted but could never have, truly have, the way he wanted: Ross. At that moment, Sin had never wanted to tell Ross more, but he kept his mouth shut.

“You know you can tell me anything, right?” Sin asked. Ross just nodded. Ross stood up suddenly, leaving Sin’s lap extremely cold. Then he began peeling off his shirt, making Sin practically drool.

“What are you doing?” Sin inquired, his jaw dropping.

“See you at the bottom!” Was all Ross said before jumping off the edge of the rock formation.

“ROSS!” Sin screamed, running to the edge just in time to see him splash into the water. Sin waited with bated heartbeats as he waited for the boy he loved to resurface. Wait…love? Now’s not the time for that! One, two, three, four, five… if he doesn’t resurface by ten I’m coming up after him… six, seven, eight, nine, ten… Okay, where was he? Sin searched the water and didn’t see him. What if he was drowning!? Sin practically ripped his shirt off and jumped off the edge. The second he made it into the water he began looking for Ross. He couldn’t see him anywhere in the water.

“ROSS! ROSS!” Sin screamed. What if he’d drowned and his body was already at the bottom of the lake? What if he’d hit his head and was bleeding out somewhere and couldn’t call out to Sin? Unfortunately the waves on this side of the lake were so bad that even if he could keep his eyes open for more than ten seconds underwater he still wouldn’t see much.