chapter 4

Sin entered the restaurant once more, just in time to see soda splashing all over Ross, a crying Carly at his feet. Oh, no, anything but the theatrics, Sin groaned to himself. He rushed forwards, righting Ross quickly. Sin tuned out Carly and mumbled a quick goodbye to Monique, who was staring at Ross with an equally loathing expression as Carly. Then he tugged a stunned Ross by the hand, leading him out of the diner and into the car. The entire ride, Ross remained silent, the way he did when he truly wanted to think. Sin drove them straight home. When he got out of the car, he realized that Ross wasn’t following. He opened the door for him, but Ross didn’t move. He just sat there, eerily still.

“C’mon, Ross, let’s go inside,” Sin coaxed. Ross’s head remained held up high, his eyes fixed on something imaginary.

“She…. She…” Ross trailed off, his eyes finally falling down onto his thigh. Sin frowned in confusion. What was he talking about? Sin’s eyes followed Ross’s, and suddenly Sin understood. There, on his thigh, were five spots of blood, most likely from nails. So Carly had grabbed his thigh. Sometimes, when people touched Ross intimately, he sort of went into shock. He got stuck in his memories, struggling to kick his way back to reality. Sin quickly gripped his hand and half pulled, half dragged Ross all the way upstairs. Ross followed as if in a daze.

“Why don’t you shower and then we can talk?” Sin asked, hoping for the off chance that Ross would shake out of this and say, “Yeah! I’m fine! You don’t have to worry about me anymore!” Ross just stared blankly at the mirror in front of him, as if comprehending whether or not he was seeing himself. Sin turned the shower on and wet his hand, running it through Ross’s soft blond locks in an attempt to jar him. Of course, that didn’t work. Sin sighed, pulling Ross’s shirt slowly from his body. Ross froze up even more, this time in fear.

Shit,” Sin cussed. He always seemed to provoke the worst responses from Ross without meaning to.

“Ross, sweetheart, it’s just me, Sin,” Sin prodded gently. Wait, WHAT? Sin slapped a hand over his mouth. Where had that word come from? I was probably just thinking subconsciously about Monique or something like that, Sin reassured himself. Yet, his insides felt like rejoicing at his use of the word. Why didn’t it feel like this when he called Monique sweetheart? What the Hell was going on? Sin shook these thoughts out of his head and squeezed Ross into a hug.

“Ross, I’m going to take your pants off. Just your pants, okay? I just need to get you in the shower so you can sleep. I promise I’m not going to try anything. I’d never hurt you.” Sin whispered into his ear, praying that he would hear him. He didn’t react. He moved down and unbuttoned Ross’s pants.

“NO!” Ross shrieked, struggling immediately, trying to shove away from Sin.

“Ross, please! It’s just me! I won’t hurt you, I promise!” Sin cried out, unable to keep his voice from wavering. He cared for this boy- he was his best friend. He hated that Ross felt like Sin would hurt him. Sin managed to shove Ross’s pants down, his heart shattering as he heard Ross’s sobs. He stripped off his own pants quickly, slinging his shirt onto the floor so he could lead Ross into the shower. There was no way in Hell that Sin would let Ross do this alone. As a matter of fact, he didn’t want Ross to have to do anything by himself, as long as Sin had a say in it. The cold water shot over the two of them, both clad in only boxers. Ross hugged himself, still crying his face off.

Sin lifted Ross’s arms away from his broad chest and quickly wrapped his own arms around Ross. He needed to feel Ross’s heart beat against his own. He needed to know that he was okay. Ross just stood there limply, his arms by his sides, like a ragdoll.

“Ross, please, please snap out of this. I need you…” Sin whispered. It was then that Ross jerked.

“Sin? What’s…. oh my God. Oh my God. Oh, Sin, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry!” He sobbed as he realized what had happened.

“You don’t have to apologize,” Sin breathed, saying a silent prayer to every God and angel in the universe for bringing his Ross back to him. Ross reached his arms up to sling them around Sin’s waist, meshing their bodies together as tears flowed freely down his face. God dammit, this happened too often! Ross cussed to himself. Why did he have to be so broken? Why couldn’t he be better? Why did he have to drag Sin down with him every time? It was then that he realized that Sin was saying thank you under his breath a thousand times, his voice sounding broken. Ross felt Sin’s chest heave with every breath against his own.

Eventually Sin disentangled himself, but he was still rattled. This experience never got easier. Each time, it was emotionally jarring. He kept his hand entwined with Ross’s just needing to know that he was there, that he was okay. It was just as much to reassure him as it was to reassure Ross. Ross clung tightly to Sin’s hand, knowing he wouldn’t let go even if he wanted to. Sin began absently washing Ross, sliding the soap across body. He started at his abs, pretending not to notice when Ross’s muscles went taut at his touch. To be truthful, it stirred something inside him, a hunger he didn’t quite understand.

Unthinkingly, Sin ran a hand across Ross’s stomach, marveling at the flatness, and the bumps of the muscles. Then he lifted his hand and continued, sliding across the planes of his chest. He even went as far as sliding his fingertips across his nipples, making them harden. Ross inhaled sharply, his grip on Sin’s hand squeezing impossibly.

This seemed to shake Sin out of his journey of exploration. He slid the soap along Ross’s arms and legs, not bothering to even go near the other boy’s boxers. Then he shampooed his hear, tangling his fingers in Ross’s blond locks. He shampooed and then conditioned. Every caress Sin made was tantalizing, something Ross had never experienced before. Then, his fingers massaging the shampoo and conditioner into his scalp relaxed him so much all of his taut muscles loosened. What was going on between them? Was this normal? Ross decided to discard any rational thought and just enjoy it.

Sin stepped out of the shower, and both of them grabbed a towel, wrapping it around their dripping boxers. They shared a smile at their actions, a secret smile only the two of them would be able to decipher.