chapter 13

Ross could feel himself trembling badly, making every single beaten muscle cramp painfully. He could still see Brody just behind his eyelids. He could still feel the blood trickling down his scalp.

“How dare you try and convert my best friend. You’re going to pay, you disgusting faggot.” Is this what being gay was like? Because if so, Ross wanted to no part of it. Brody gripped Ross by the hair and smashed his face into the mirror. It shattered in his face, the glass making a thousand cuts on his scalp as well as his face. The pain had been so immense his knees had given out and he’d crumpled to the ground, subjecting himself to a flurry of kicks and punches that had no doubt cracked at least one of his ribs and bruised most of his skin.

“Ross?” A voice asked suddenly.

“Sin?” Ross asked, silently praying to every God in the universe that it was him. When he opened his eyes, however, he saw it was Ted. Of course, the universe wouldn’t be that kind. All Ross wanted was for Sin to fold Ross into his arms, to sleep just beside him and promise that everything would be okay.

“Holy fucking shit! Who did this to you!?” Ted interrogated. He knelt down beside Ross, who could barely move.

“It doesn’t matter. We need to get me out of here before Sin sees me,” Ross said suddenly. He knew now what his plan was. He couldn’t let Sin see him like this. He decided he couldn’t bear to see Sin, either, now that he’d had dirty thoughts about his best friend, who had been nothing but kind to him. Plus, Sin was having a good time. He didn’t deserve to have his night ruined. His ego also wouldn’t let him let Sin see him like this. He was disfigured, beaten and bloody. He just looked hideous.

“What!? Sin’s your best friend!” Ted argued. Ross shook his head, wincing when the movement caused severe pain.

“Please? Let’s just go. If you can help get me out of here, I’ll owe you forever,” Ross wheezed. Ted sighed and relented. He managed to get Ross on his feet. They carefully slipped Ted’s hoodie onto Ross and pulled the hood over his face, praying no one would recognize him. Ted wrapped Ross’s arms around his own waist, allowing Ross to lean on him. They walked out of the restaurant, making it to the parking lot.

“Oi! Ross!” Someone called. Ross’s heart panged in his chest. He kept his head down, tears of shame filling his eyes. I’m a disgusting excuse for a person, hurting Sin like this.

“Where are you guys… why is Ross wearing your hoodie?” Sin questioned. Ross could hear Sin’s voice harden. He was probably angry that Ross wasn’t looking at him, Ross realized. Sin could see Ross leaving the restaurant with Ted, so he had bolted from his sit. When he saw Ross, however, Ross wouldn’t even look at him. And what the fuck was he doing with the other boy’s hoodie on?

“He, was, um, cold,” Ted lied. Ross wanted to groan. He was stuck with the world’s worst liar. This pissed Sin of. If he was cold, he could’ve asked for Sin’s hoodie!

“Ross? Why won’t you look at me? What’s going on?” Sin asked. The tears spilled over and Ross quickly wiped his eyes, still staring at the ground. It didn’t take half of a second for Sin to realize that Ross was crying. His heart twisted in his chest.

“Ross! What happened!?” He said, stepping forward as if to give him a hug. Ross wanted nothing more than to submit to Sin. He was everything that was good in the world. He was also the only person Ross truly cared about. Ross quickly stepped back into Ted’s chest, unable to stop himself from letting out a loud sob.  Hurt swept through Sin. Why hadn’t Ross let Sin hug him? He was his best friend, for God’s sakes! He wanted to hold him, to rock him slowly back and forth in his arms until the tears subsided. Had someone touched him!?

“What the Hell? What the fuck did you do to him!?” Sin screamed at Ted. That fucking bastard! What had he done to Ross? Sin was ready to pounce on him and kill him.

“No, Sin, it’s not like that-”

“LIKE HELL IT ISN’T!” Sin screamed. Suddenly Senora Schiff appeared from inside the restaurant, looking ready to pacify the oncoming fight.

“Is everything alright here, boys?” she questioned, looking nervously back and forth between the two.

“Yes, Senora Schiff. Ross was just feeling ill so I was going to take him back to the lodge.” Ted explained, keeping his eyes warily on Sin. Sin was shaking under the force of his anger. How dare he lie so easily!? That bastard!

“I’ll take him back! We are roommates, after all!” Sin said, though his voice was still way too loud. Senora turned on him, placing her hands on her hips.

“It seems Ted is in control of the situation. You should go back inside and calm down,” she said, wagging her finger at him. Unfortunately for Sin, Senora wouldn’t let him leave, so Ted did end up taking him back to the lodge. When he got there, he took him back to his room, patched up his wounds and let him fall asleep in his bed.

When everyone dispersed from the restaurant, Sin went straight to his bedroom, needing to speak to Ross. His heart stopped when he realized he wasn’t there. Then, understanding kicked in. He charged straight to Ted’s room and banged on the door relentlessly until it opened. Ross was beneath a blanket, and Ted opened the door, looking exhausted.

“Yes?” Ted yawned.

“I need to speak with Ross,” Sin declared through gritted teeth.

“No.” Ted resolved.

“You bastard! He’s my best friend! I need to-”

“Sin?” a husky voice asked from inside the room.

“Yes?” Sin responded, his anger completely derailed. He turned to see Ross, but the boy was still hiding under the blanket. Sin already planned on what would happen: he’d carry Ross back to their room, the boy would apologize and tell him what happened, Sin would beat up whoever had hurt him, and then they’d be friends again.

“You need to go away.” Ross said before he fell back asleep.