chapter 2

“Ross,” Sin whispered, shaking the boy lightly. Ross groaned and rolled over, hiding his face in his pillow. He mumbled something that sounded like a cross between “Go away” and “shut the fuck up”. Sin smiled. The smallest things that Ross said made Sin smile like there was no tomorrow. Sin tugged on Ross’s arm once more.

“C’mon, you seriously need to get up,” Sin whispered. Ross just groaned and rolled over again, so that this time he was lying on his back. He grunted out a “no”. Sin slung his leg over Ross, straddling his waist. Then he bounced around a bunch of times, laughing hysterically at his own actions.

“Tiiiiimmmmmeee toooo geeeeet uuuppppp motttthhhhheeerrrrfuuuuuuccccckkkkeeerrrr!” Sin joked. Ross’s eyes shot open, and Sin abruptly stopped, his stomach plummeting downwards somewhere around his feet. The color drained out of Ross’s face, and something hollow flashed in his eyes. He reached up and shoved at Sin’s chest with both hands. He bolted straight into the bathroom and locked the door. Back on the bed, Sin stared at the space where Ross used to be with shock for a moment before he realized his mistake. He shot towards the bathroom door, but Ross slammed it in his face. Ross slid down, his back against the door. He hated how easily other people hurt him. He hated how easy it was to break him, to make him feel so violently sick that he didn’t feel like eating for days afterwards.

“Ross, please, let me in,” Sin pleaded, banging heavily on the door. Tears flooded Ross’s eyes. Not unusually, he contemplated a razorblade. It would make him feel better, right?

“I know what you’re thinking, and it’s not worth it. Just please, let me help you. Ross, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” Ross shook his head before realizing that Sin couldn’t see him.

“Go away.” Ross said weakly. Ross heard the doorbell ring twice from downstairs, the signal that their girlfriends had arrived. Ross groaned. He was still only in his boxers, as was Sin. “Go out with them, tell them the usual excuse.”

“I’m not moving until you open this door.” Sin responded immediately.

“Sin, please!” Ross pleaded, tears flooding his eyes once more, this time in frustration. Sin’s hands clenched into fists, the breath escaping his lungs. Something inside of him tightened at the way Ross spoke. He wasn’t exactly sure why. It was probably just because he felt guilty… right? He reached up to bang on the door before he realized that this was probably scaring Ross. Sin could practically imagine Ross’s hands plastered to his ears, trying to drown out the sound of Sin as well as the sound of the memories breaking past the walls inside of him. Sin lowered his arms.

“I’m going to sit on my bed, okay? I’ll sit here and wait until you’re ready to come out. How does that sound?” Sin offered gently. There was a long pause, in which Ross was using to slowly unplaster his hands from his ears. The rising tides in Ross’s insides quelled momentarily.

“Okay,” Ross said weakly. Eventually he unglued himself from the cold tile and opened the bathroom door. The knob nearly slipped out of his sweating hands, but he managed to open it. He took his time opening it. He peeked out to make sure Sin did as he promised he would. When he saw a sliver of Sin’s tanned skin sitting on his bed, Ross opened the door all the way. One look at Sin’s tortured face was enough for him to accept the hug that Sin crossed the room to deliver to Ross. His arms were strong and warm, wrapping around Ross with the strength equivalent of an oncoming hurricane.

“I’m sorry,” Sin whispered. Ross just nodded, feeling Sin’s dark curls brush against his face. The doorbell rang seven times, signaling the girl’s impatience.

“You should get the door,” Ross said, moving to pull away from Sin. For some reason, Sin’s gut tightened. He could feel Ross peeling out of his embrace and it felt like a knee to the gut.

“Don’t- can I just-” Sin started. When he saw Ross’s confused face, he remembered what had just happened and stopped speaking. He let his arms drop.

“What’s wrong?” Ross whispered. Sin looked like someone had just shot his puppy. Had he done something to hurt his feelings? Sin just swallowed, unsure of how to explain his feelings. Ross shot forwards, barreling at Sin and capturing him into his arms once more. Sin’s grip was so tight it would probably bruise him but neither boy cared. It was a hug shared to quell a certain urgency that both of them felt, one of the only places where either of the boys could find true solace. The doorbell rang again, and this time they both pulled away. Sin turned and pulled on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt quickly, leaving Ross to get changed by himself.