21 - Familiarity

There is no decision that we can make that doesn't come with some sort of balance or sacrifice. ~Simon Sinek 

Michael's POV

I followed Barbie and Karla around in their car until we got to Riley's house. When we walked inside - without knocking - we tried to be as stealthy as possible before going into the living room to see Luke sprawled over Riley's lap as the television played. Riley was smoothing over Luke's hair and there were several textbooks laid across the coffee table.

"Just be quiet, he's sleeping." Riley said without looking to us.

"Been a long day?" Barbie folded her arms and cocked an eyebrow. I do not see why the two looked to peeved, everything seemed to be alright.

"Easy now, Barbara." Riley rolled his eyes. "Luke was doing homework and studying the entire time he was here. That's all."

Barbie did not say a word, she just placed herself on the couch beside Riley.

Riley's eyes wandered to me, I could tell by the look on his face he wanted nothing to do with me.

"So why did you bring him along?" Riley asked.

"Why not?" Karla responded as she plopped down in a chair.

"Because he doesn't - "

"Easy there," Barbie cut him off with a hiss. "If you all aren't quiet you're going to wake up Luke. Then I'm going to smack every single one of you for waking him up."

Riley let out a sigh. "We might as well wake him up, you guys are all here."

"No just leave him be." I replied as I sat on the arm of the couch, Barbie smiled to me and I shot her a glare. I knew exactly what she was thinking of. It was painfully obvious that I cared about Luke, and for the damnedest reasons, Barbie loved to point it out.

"So," Barbie said. "What was he studying for?"

"Hell if I know," Riley responded. "Luke's too smart for me."

"Aw, little baby Luke is achieving goals." Karla smiled as she stood up, took the remote from Riley and sat back down. He said nothing of it, although he did look slightly displeased.

"So why did Luke skip school?" Barbie asked.

"He said something about not finishing a math assignment and then I told him he smelt like beer." I explained.

Barbie nodded, either she agreed or she understood. Either way, it did not really matter to me. She then turned to Riley. "So why did you skip school?"

"I caught Luke on the way out, he explained it to me and I offered to go with him." Riley shrugged. "I really didn't mind too much either."

"Seems too good to be true," Karla sighed. "Honestly you're lucky Skarlet isn't here with us, she would have been cussing you out."

"Well that's funny, last time I checked I didn't do a damned thing." Riley hissed back. He was losing his temper and so was Karla. It was almost as if she really did not trust a word that came out of Riley's mouth. There was a line of tension between the two girls and Riley, I had to sit back and wonder why. Luke liked him, so was their anything wrong with him? But then again, Luke trusted Kody quite a bit. Although Riley seemed somewhat sour towards Kody. 

"Yeah, like that's believable. Maybe we should've brought Skarlet with us." Karla said, she was on the edge of her chair and looked like she was going to stand up and jump on Riley. 

"Go bite yourself." Riley spit out. 

"Excuse me?" Karla said, Barbie and I exchanged looks of worry as the two went back and forth.

"Need me to say it louder?" Riley sarcastically asked. "Go, bite yourself!" 

At this point he leaned forward and shook the sleeping Luke around slightly. That and the noise woke him up. 

Luke sat up and rubbed his eyes. "What's going on?" He yawned and Barbie sighed. I had a feeling this would happen, but I never imagined that he would look so displeased. 

"Nothing," Karla sighed as she went back to staring at the television. 

Luke did not look like he bought it at all, but he did not say anything. Instead he laid back down on Riley and pulled his legs up to his chest. Riley then stroked over his hair while he laid down. I was a little shocked and surprised. Every time I saw the two, Riley seemed to act bitterly towards Luke. I guess it was true when they said that everyone seemed to love Luke. 

"I guess we should get going." Karla said quietly after a moment of silence. Luke sat up and the four of us watched her. Barbie then stood up and followed suit. I had no idea what to do, but I knew I really did not want to be around Riley without Barbie around. For some reason it seemed like she had a hold on him. 

"You're all just going to leave?" Riley asked, he sounded uninterested in what they were saying. 

"Yeah, if you want to come you're plenty welcomed too." Barbie said and the three of us walked out the door. When we climbed in Barbie's car I heard her speak. "Michael if you just want to go home, that's fine." 

"Yeah I don't think you would want to actually hang out with us." Karla agreed. 

"It's not that I don't like you." I answered. I wanted to make sure that was clear. I had nothing against the two, I just knew that being around those two would mean a messy situation. So I was driven back to my house and upon walking inside I saw Ashton sitting on the couch. 

On his right, was a brunette girl whom I had a hard time recognizing. 

"Hey Mikey." Ashton said as he turned to me. I walked around the couch to see the girl's face. She was tan and little and looked like she really did not want to be here. "Oh, this is Lynn." 

"Why do I feel like we've met before, Lynn?" I asked. 

She shrugged her shoulders but passed me an everlasting smile; one that made her attitude seem to fade away. "Maybe I look just like everyone else." 

I looked her up and down, she did not look like anyone else I knew. But I did not know what to say to her. "Maybe." 

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

Do you guys remember Lynn? From like chapters 2-5 or so? If you don't remember she was the girl that hung around Kody and everything and was always getting Luke into trouble. Blah blah blah. 

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX