10 - Listening To Nonsense

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie

Luke's POV

After school that day I was not scheduled to do anything, as a result I did not know what to do with myself. So I wandered around the school until I found myself walking by the library and seeing Michael and Ashton. I should not have been snooping around, but I did anyways.

The two were leaning over the table and Michael was tapping his pencil off the desk. Ashton reached over and slammed it down.

"I don't get it." Michael sighed. "Ashton, I really don't."

"Don't get what? Luke?" Ashton responded. I watched Michael slam his head down on the table with a groan.

"What is wrong with him?" Michael groaned. "He doesn't let me in and he needs to."

"He doesn't have to.." I mouthed to myself. I moved a little closer, poking my head around the bookshelf. Their backs were to me.

"He just doesn't know you very well." Ashton commented. "Maybe if you - "

"He won't even let me talk to him." Michael interrupted. He was pressing down on his temples, like the stress of me was getting to him. I rolled my eyes. "There is literally no point in trying."

"Well then you're a quitter." Ashton said. "Why'd you even pursue this in the first place? It's not like he held any interest for you."

"I don't know." Michael muttered.

"Well c'mon Michael, you've a had a locker next to Luke's for forever, it's not like you didn't know his name! You always have!" Ashton responded. "There has to be a reason why."

"I get nervous, alright. I always wanted to but never got the chance to. Then he started doing drugs and hanging out with Kody. He was so unappealing then." Michael sighed. "He doesn't do it to be a punk, and he's not an idiot either. He's just a little lost is all."

"Lost? How so?"

"No one in their right mind would stay with someone like Kody, there has to be a reason." Michael sighed. "Plus, part of me believes that Luke will just go back to him. I can't have that happen. You know what he did."

"Look, Luke is a big boy. He's going to make ill choices, but you can't do a thing about it." Ashton sighed. "Especially since you're not on his good side. You have to have his favor before you tell him what he should and should not be doing."

"I'm just worried, can't he see that?" Michael mumbled.

I took a step forward, as if I was going to walk out but when the floor creaked and the boys turned around I hid behind the bookcase. Hoping, and wishing that they would just go away.

I was unfortunate though.

"Luke what the hell are you doing!?" Michael snapped, I did not look at him. I kept my closed eyes headed downwards. "Were you ease dropping?" I nodded my head, still refusing to look at Michael. If he was going to hit me, I would rather not see it coming. Especially since I was expecting a punch. "Why would you do that?" I said nothing. "Luke look at me."

"N-No." I stuttered out.

"Well, why not?"

"Cause you're mad.." I mumbled to myself, I opened my eyes at this point but kept my head down. Kody always wanted me to hang my head in shame when I did wrong, I did not look at him either. He said that he did not want to feel the guilt.

I heard Michael take a deep breath. "You think that I'm going to hurt you, I can tell just by looking at you." At this point I raised my head to Michael who was shaking his head slowly. "What did he do to you..You shouldn't be acting like this."

"W-Well.." I mumbled, but I had no real answer, so I stopped in my tracks.

"Well what?" Michael sighed. "Why did you let him hurt you enough to fear me?"

"I-I didn't try!" I snapped, although I was not very frightening.

"I know you didn't try." Michael said. "You can't be afraid of me though, I'm not going to hurt you!"

"I-I know."

"Then why do you refuse to look at someone who got upset with you?" Michael asked, and I turned my head away. Michael was digging at deep wounds and they hurt like the day they were made. "Well Luke?"

"Shut up.." I mumbled as I sat down on the ground.

"No, I'm not going to shut up." Michael sighed. I heard him whisper to Ashton to go away, but I refused to comment as Michael walked over towards me and I kept my head hidden in my legs. "Luke, why don't you like me? Not even as a friend. I like you."

"We're not friends, we're two totally different people." I muttered. "You don't actually like me, you feel bad for me."

"No, not true." Michael said. "You don't like me at all though?"

"You messed up everything." I sniffled. "I don't even have Kody anymore..I don't have anything. I'm nothing without him."

"Why do you like Kody so much?" Michael asked. "What did he ever do for you?"

"He still cares.." I mumbled, I turned my head to Michael to see the distorted look on his face. 

"Do you really truly believe that?" Michael asked and I gave a nod. "Wow the drugs really have gotten to you. How much have you been smoking?" 

"Shut up.." I muttered. 

"No seriously Luke," Michael said. "He hurts you, you can't let him do that." 

"Oh really?" 

"Well apparently you don't know it." Michael said. "After what happened you're going to just go back to him and pretend like nothing happened, is that the plan?"

"No that's.." I trailed off, did I have a plan or would I go crawling back to Kody? I stood up off the floor and shouted. "Why do you even care!?"

"Why won't you let me!" Michael yelled.

"Look at what happened to me when I did let someone care.." I said and instantly felt my eyes fill with tears. "They ended up not caring at all and doing..doing this to me."

"Luke.." Michael said softly as he took a step towards me. He opened up his arms, to let me into them. I took the step inside and instantly began crying onto his shoulder.

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

Helloooo everyone! I just have a little bit of an announcement! Very exciting. So I wanted to start another book, it would indeed be a Lashton because I have a million Muke's. The concept behind it is to have Lucy be involved with more of the writing process because a book is like a baby. You take care of it and hold it like a first child. So I'm not very..Open to her writing parts on the book - although I do take ideas and suggestions.

This is where you all come in.. In the next chapter of every book will be several different prefaces for you all to read. I am asking that those of you whom read and vote and comment to just leave a little note on your favorite one. The one that I see has the most replies on, will be the next book. Not saying the other one's won't be included later on, but this will determine the next one.

That's all I have to say! The next section of this book will do this ( I have not finished all of the concepts that I have for these ) Also they will be on each of my books that are updated recently. So, this one (Pill By Pill), Geek Squad, Acrobatics, and Forced. You are allowed to vote once on each book, so four times.

Okay..NOW That's all I have to say! Thank you all for you time! I will probably have the prefaces up by Friday? Maybe? Probably? Also Lucy are writing some of them, so if you can correctly guess who wrote which one, I will count your vote as two as a special little boost ;3

Frick I'm going on again..NOW I'M DONE.

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX