Twenty Four _ Goodbye.

Start from the beginning

“That’s Bella’s brother?”

Nodding, I mumbled an Mmm.

“How’d you find out?” A shade of a grin appeared on her curious face.

Putting the spoon down, I answered. This girl just can’t wait. But I admit, I wanted to share that experience too. “The hard way! I called her that right in front of him. And explained the reason, to boot.” Her grin was ready to burst.

“The bastard didn’t even tell me she’s his sister.” It was kinda funny, when you think about it. “Not until she walked right up to us and the introductions began.”

“Did she remember you?” she asked, laughing.

“Who wouldn’t?”

Chagrin got mixed into her grin. At least, she knew the reach of her opinions. “But she didn’t tell you off or anything, right? Cause’ I’m gonna…”

“No, no. She’s quite nice, actually. She even asked after you.”

“Really?” Like a little kid, she pouted out her bottom lip as if in a deep thinking state and began nodding in slight shakes. It was adorable.

“Where’s Steve, anyway?”

“Probably at the studio now. He left just before you got here.” I nodded. I haven’t seen him all morning. “I …  uhh,….”

Watching her look turn to a serious one, I waited for her to continue, having another spoonful of fried rice.

“… talked to hm.” She continued. “He said he went straight home after you went in.” A sigh betrayed me and the food turned to ash in my mouth. “Do you remember anything else?”

I shook my head while I felt another deeper sight leave me, along with my appetite. “To be honest, I don’t’ know what I should be looking for in the first place.”

She sighed and her hand came to take mine. “Don’t worry, Rea. You’re not alone in this.” A slight but trusting nod went her way and she returned a smile. “Now, eat. Don’t make me feel sorry I brought it up.”

………………………… 

…………………………

Nicole

But what was she gonna say? That she wasn’t the made-up Samantha or that she wasn’t my girlfriend, which was the ‘truer’ truth?

That was why I cut her off. I didn’t want him to know that she wasn’t mine. But I don’t want him, or anyone for that matter, trying anything on her.

“Ms. Taylor.”

“Huh?”

“You seemed so absorbed. Care to share you thoughts with the class?” She crooned, mischievously. But was I in trouble?

“I was thinking …,” Far from it! “… maybe we should inverse the sign of the whole equation. That’d make it easier to take out L, you know after some adding and individual negations .” Maths had failed me my last junior year. So no wonder it became something I live and breathe this year. Besides, I kinda got this problem by rote.

Surprise took over mockery in her eyes. “That was ... just what I was talking about?” She said, looking back at the board.

Now, I’m not saying she isn’t good at this. She in fact probably knows this subject better than the teacher she’s substituting.