I was about to crack a Dillon/Jace bromance joke but it really wasn’t the time. “You know…” I started. “Dillon cried when I was in the hospital after the fire.  He wasn’t crying about losing everything, he was crying about me. I remember it even though I was four years old. I remember that whole day, it’s one of my first memories that I can remember.”

            “I thought you said that you were okay?”

            I gave him a sad smile,” I didn’t tell you the whole story.” I sighed and played with the hair behind his ear while I held one of his hands. “Our house completely collapsed from the fire and I was in it when it started. I was passed out on the ground and I guess that part of the ceiling fell onto my back, giving me a really bad third degree burn.” I pulled away to take off my jacket and pull down the top of my shirt to expose my upper back. A rugged, ugly scar lay there reminding me of that day.

            “How come I’ve never seen it before?” He asked me.

            “Why do you think I have long hair?” I pulled my clothes back on and went back to lying on his stomach.

            He gave me a light smile and put his head back onto the ground, closing his eyes. I moved forward and looked at the face that almost every girl at our school dies over. He was really attractive so why would he want to give up all those girls to be in a fake relationship with me?

            I lightly wiped away the stray tears and he opened one eye to look at me. I gave him my best ‘innocent’ look and he laughed making me feel the stomach muscles underneath his thin t-shirt.

            He sat up, pulling my body with him, wrapped one arm around my shoulders and used the other arm to put his hand in mine again. He twirled a piece of red hair with his fingers as we looked at his brother’s grave.

            “Tell me about him,” I whispered.

            He sighed and leaned his head against mine. “I don’t even know where to begin…”

            I spent the rest of the day with Jace down at the cemetery. I couldn’t care less that I had school the next day and I hadn’t done my homework nor did I care about getting Dillon his precious food. Hell, he should just have that pole of his make him dinner or distract him until I get home.

            “Thanks for coming with me today,” He smiled as he followed me home even though we both took two different cars.

            “No problem, just call me whenever you want to back.” I gave him a smile.

            He looked like he wanted to kiss me right there and truth be told, I would’ve kissed back. His eyes kept darting to my lips and I gulped as we both started to lean in when no one was around to witness this act.

            “Peyton! Get the hell in here, I’m about to die, I’m so hungry!” I groaned and stopped leaning in then mentally slapped Dillon for being such an idiot.

            “Uh,” Jace cleared his throat nervously and I stepped away from his car. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow?”

            “Sure—“

            “Peyton!”

            “Oh, shut up Dillon!” I yelled back to my annoying brother. “Bye,” I waved and walked up to the house, pushing Dill out of the way.

            “Damn, you kiss that boy too much so don’t be mad that I just stopped one kiss.”

            Oh, Dillon… If only you knew.