Chapter 11: Lessons from the Scars

En başından başla

Sarina doesn't even blink. "She was different, like she was someone else. She spoke so fast that her words blended and I...I do not understand."

"My children," comes a low, melodic voice from the entrance to the hall. Master Splinter comes closer to the faint light, whiskers drooped. "It is late. Explanations can come tomorrow." The rat glances down at Leonardo and Destiny, whiskers drooping. "Leonardo, how is she?"

"Somewhat improved," he answers. He sighs, running his hand along her slightly damp curls yet again. "Same as ever."

Splinter kneels next to them, reaching out and giving Destiny's arm a gentle brush. She flinches, then opens her eyes, and he smiles at her. "Destiny, do you need some chamomile?" She shakes her head. "It could help with your sleep and the nausea."

She shakes her head again, movements still rigid. "I'll stay here," she croaks.

Splinter nods and slowly lifts himself back to his feet. "That is alright. I hope sleep finds you again. We will have tea in the morning, alright?"

She gives another weak nod before slumping against Leonardo's chest and letting her eyes close. Sarina inches closer to Donatello, reaching for his hand subconsciously, and although he's surprised, he holds her hand.

"Sorry, guys," Leonardo says as he lifts Destiny up. "I'll get her settled. Try to go back to sleep."

He disappears into Destiny and Sarina's shared bedroom. Sarina doesn't budge from her spot, even when Raphael, Michelangelo, and Splinter have already started back to their rooms. Donatello tugs her hand a little, making her blink and shake her head as if to dislodge herself from her thoughts.

"You...uh, you can go back into your room now," Donatello says with a weak smile.

Sarina glances over her shoulder at the little bed that she calls her own, nestled right alongside Destiny's. "Oh...yes," she breathes. "That's correct." She stares at the room for another moment.

He exhales. "You're a little freaked out, aren't you?"

Her head whips back around, eyes flashing once and making him squint. "If she starts to scream again, do I have permission to come and stay in your room?" she asks. "That is only a request, feel free to say no."

He's thankful for the lack of light. It hides the redness in his face. "I guess," he mumbles. "But for now, you need to go to your bed."

She squeezes his hand once before letting hers slip away. "Then...goodnight."

She shuffles into the bedroom and lays down on her mattress, listening as someone, likely Donatello, pulls the door shut behind her with a soft creak. She tugs the blanket up to her armpits, folding her hands together on top of it as she gazes at the ceiling, faintly aware of the two presences near her.

"Leonardo?" she whispers.

There's the rustling of sheets. "Yeah?"

"Can you sleep?"

Silence for a beat. "Honestly? Not until she falls asleep."

Sarina takes a deep breath and clenches her hand against the blanket. "How long has this been going on?"

"A few months, probably almost a year now. It's been a long time either way."

"Oh."

More quiet. The bed creaks as one of the two shift, then there's a long exhalation.

"Leonardo?"

"...yeah?"

"You're very good to her. I'm sure she appreciates that."