p r o l o g u e

{© All Rights Reserved.}

~To a beautiful little girl I once knew.~

Kenny

Twirling her dark locks in between my long fingers did I feel like putty in her hands.

My mate smiling up at me caused my wolf to howl in joy. Her hazel nut eyes glowed as she caressed her belly that bulged from having a child in her womb.

She giggled as I bit her earlobe in a loving way, inching my hands lower and lower.

"Inch your hand any more, and I'll kick you where the sun doesn't shine, alpha Kenny."

"You wouldn't dare." I grunted embracing her more in my arms if possible. A rumble of a purr erupted as she ranked her fingers through my own dark locks.

"How very right you are." She whispered as the bustling wind carried her words to my perked ears. I leaned in for another long and steamy kiss.

Alpha, you are needed in the main office. I could hear my beta mind link, urging me to part from my mate for some 'important' issue.

Oh he will have hell to pay if it isn't. I reluctantly pull away, standing up whilst dusting myself off. Carrie looked at me in understanding knowing full well what the mate of an alpha entitles.

I kissed her cheek leaving the beautiful backyard woods I worked hard to build. I quickly trotted to my black jeep, the expensive smell of the interior cringing my nose as I stepped on the gas pedal.

I would go in wolf form, but I don't want to waste any more time than I already have. A moment away from my mate is a moment too long.

Parking on the familiar grass, I stepped out rushing to the small cottage we call our main office located deep into the woods where no one will be able find.

Not even knocking, I spotted a panic stricken beta clutching a letter for dear life. Just by the look in his eyes, I could see rage and fear.

One thing I taught Hudson most importantly is to never show fear for that is weakness.

Deep in his grey eyes that is what it held at this moment. I furiously grabbed it out of his hands inspecting ever word. I could literally feel my heart drop as I stepped away from the letter that had fallen from my fingertips.

Running while transitioning to my black as midnight wolf was as easy as tying a shoe. I tried to push away the words of the letter spiraling into my head. My heartbeat racing as I worriedly mind linked Carrie.

Her beautiful voice didn't ricochet back.

Out of all the times she refuses to mind link me, now isn't the right time. Growling partly in anger and anxiety, I ran with lighting speed to our mansion of a house.

I didn't even care as I tore through many other wolfs who crowded around fighting each other. I knew it was too late but I kept going. I kept pushing my tired legs to the limit racing to save a drop of rain from falling.

Killing another wolf instantly who lurked around the invaded pack house, I finally made it to the backyard.

As other adrenaline junkie werewolves fought in violence trying to cease the fire inside, my insides crushed over and over again. Agony and misery weren't good enough to describe my pain.

Changing back into human form, I dropped to my knees beside her lifeless body.

My wolf was silent in pain, I was curious of why he was silent all of a sudden, but I didn't push it as I cried for once in my life.

Clanging to her body, I screamed in agony facing the sky.

"Why moon goddess?! Why have you done this to me?!" Tears were streaming down my face as I collided my forehead to her cold one.

"Why?" I kept asking over and over again not even caring who watched behind me. Hours felt like minutes as I still grasped her frail unresponsive body.

Even when Hudson put his hand on my shoulder, I knew the war was over, but I still sat there wishing to be just as dead as Carrie.

"I'm sorry." He comforted trying to pull me back into reality. I flinched swatting his hand away.

There was nothing he could do to ever make me feel any better. Not anymore. I ignored his outstretched hand as I rushed off like a coward, running away even from myself.

My wolf finally howled in sorrow remembering the disgusting words on the letter and what had just happened.

You are very smart, alpha. Yet not smart enough. If you are reading this, Sorry for your loss.