XIX. Into the Night

Start from the beginning

She wanted to ask where they were really from, but stopped herself. No attachments, she thought.

"Well, you don't have to go with them if you don't want to," she said anyway.

"But where will we go?"

"I don't know...somewhere you want to be."

"I want to find my mother."

"Our mother."

She didn't know how to answer that one so she cleared her throat and tried to think of a good one. "I know people who can help you."

Their eyes lit up. And then their shoulders sagged. "But Mr. Ber—I mean, our brother said he will help us find her."

"You already said too much," said his twin. He turned to Desiree and asked, "We already won two out of two missions. What's the next one? It better be good. This game is a total bore."

"Okay," she said, crossing her leg over the other as she pretended to think. "Here's the next mission and you both have to be very careful. Though I know that I will win this one, I should still give you both a chance."

"Just say it," they chorused.

She leaned closer and started to whisper.

*****

Khaye's wound was healing. And she was getting bored.

Marco had left the house only once, leaving her alone, because of work. That was two days ago. And he had not left her side ever since.

Gian had called twice but Khaye refused to talk to him in both occasions.

"You should at least pretend that you are not thinking he's one of the bad guys, Khaye," Marco told her that afternoon.

"It's not easy right now," was all she said. They stared at each other for a while before she blinked and turned away. "I'll need some time to wrap my head around it."

"He wants to come here," Marco said behind her.

"Did you tell him where we are?"

"He knows."

"How?"

"I had to make a report two days ago. Of course, he knows."

She faced him once again, the panic in her voice apparent as she asked, "What should I do?"

"Try to act normal. He's your brother. He'll notice if something is wrong."

"But how can I do that when I fear his presence?"

"If he is working for Petroff, I don't think he can easily harm you. He's still your brother after all and he was genuinely concerned the last time I talked to him. I say we give him the benefit of the doubt but at the same time be cautious."

She started to walk back to her room. "I'll think about it."

"He's on his way."

*****

"What happened?" Theo asked the moment she entered the cabin.

"I told them to steal a gold watch from one of the passengers. Remember that Irish guy who hit on me the other day? It will be quite a challenge for them. It's also going to be a good distraction so they will stop asking questions."

"I wasn't asking about the stupid mission you were going to give the twins. I was asking about what they told you."

Desiree rolled her eyes and dropped on the bed. She closed her eyes and murmured, "They told me about the escape plan."