Chapter 18

So this story went from #769 to #369 in one day?! Thank you so much! Keep voting and commenting so it can get higher in the ranks! Also thank you for 12.1k!

The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot – Brand New

--

You are calm and reposed. Let your beauty unfold. Pale white, like the skin stretched over your bones. Spring keeps you ever close. You are second hand smoke. You are so fragile and thin. Standing trial for your sins. Holding onto yourself the best you can. You are the smell before rain. You are the blood in my veins.

Copeland was ecstatic, which meant a lot to me. I knew it was going to be difficult to tell family members and friends, but I wasn't scared. As long as I had Vic and Copeland, I would be alright.

Vic and I were laying in his bed after a long day. It was around 10 p.m., and my body felt energized, yet ready to shut down at the same time.

"Kell," Vic started, holding me to his chest as he ran his hand under my shirt and over my stomach. He continued speaking when he felt me shake my head. "When do you think we should tell our families and stuff?"

I thought about the question for a moment. I mean, surely our families would be fine considering we're mature adults, but there was also the fear that they would freak out because we were having a child out of wedlock.

"I think we should tell them when it feels right." I had gone with that logic since I could remember, and it always led me to the right conclusions.

Vic stayed silent for a moment, continuing rubbing his hand around my torso. I was worried he would back out any moment, considering I had had that happen to me more than once, but his words assured me that we would be fine.

"I think that would be good. I know my parents are going to be kind of weirded out when they hear that we aren't engaged or anything, but we can burn that bridge when we get to it," Vic explained, soothing my thoughts. I think it's a fear for every pregnant person that their loved one will leave them when things become too much, but that fear dissipated over time. Vic proved himself day in and day out, and I had so much faith in him.

"It'll be okay," I yawned, curling up into him even further as he removed his hand from my stomach and instead brought it up to brush through my hair.

We laid there for a little while longer, basking in each other's presence as we both thought about the future. It was weird to think that this scene could change in about eight months. Things could be so different, and even though I had no idea what would happen, I was excited.

"Go to sleep," Vic whispered in my ear, kidding my forehead and reaching over to the lamp to turn it off.

I laid awake for a few more moments before finally closing my eyes, falling asleep to a few mumbled words from Vic.

--

Fast forward about two weeks and Vic and I are on our way to the first sonogram. I'm filled with nerves, but Vic continually reassured me that things would be alright. It was hard to believe him, but I did as best as I could.

"Kellin?" a nurse called after we had been waiting in the waiting room for about thirty minutes. I was kind of glad Copeland stayed home with Mike, because she would be climbing the walls by now.

"It's time to go see our little bean," I blurted, kind of embarrassed that I called my baby a bean. Vic just laughed and helped me up, placing his palm at the small of my back and guiding me to the door.

The nurse went through all the normal tests: height, weight, temperature, etcetera, then led us to the sonogram room, telling us the doctor would be in in a few minutes, which she was.

"Hey there," Dr. Grey greeted the both of us as she walked through the door. She had never met Vic, but I knew he would love her.

Vic replied back with a light 'hey' and a handshake, then sat back down beside me.

"So, today we're going to have a look at the baby. I won't be your OBGYN, but I will be taking care of what I can with you. The baby is in the hands of Dr. Shepherd." I nodded at Dr. Grey's words, watching as she walked around the room and gathered the things she would need.

"When do we get to see the baby?" Vic asked from beside me. It made me happy to know he was eager to see our 'bean.'

"In just a few moments, actually. I just have to page Dr. Shepherd, then I'll be out of your hair and she will take over," Dr. Grey told us, smiling lightly.

The minutes seemed to tick by slowly, feeling like years. I didn't know how I was going to react, but I already felt like I was on the verge of tears, so this would be nothing but emotional for both Vic and myself.

I didn't pay much attention to what went on around me. Dr. Grey had left about a minute ago, saying something about her pager not working, and left Vic and I to sit and think in silence. I was clutching his hand so tightly I thought I was going to end up hurting, but nerves continued to flutter in my chest, so my grip didn't lessen one bit.

"Hello," a lady with long red hair said as she walked into our room. I looked up at her and smiled, waving shyly. "So, we ready to see the baby?"

"Very much so, yes," I replied quickly. I couldn't wait another second to see the baby. Our baby.

Dr. Shepherd set up the little station and instructed me to lie on my back with my shirt pulled up.

"This'll be cold," she informed me, smearing a jelly-like substance on her glove-clad fingers.

The substance touched my stomach, and I shied away a bit. Vic grabbed back onto my hand, squeezing it a couple times.

"It may take a few moments for the image to pop up," the doctor told me as she moved the transducer around on my stomach. It did take a couple seconds, but the image popped up and I nearly burst into tears.

"There they are." I lost it after that. Dr. Shepherd was pointing at a small little ball on the screen, and even though it was small, I could imagine everything about our baby in that moment. They would have Vic's nose and his eyes, and they would be absolutely gorgeous. I just wanted to hold my baby now.

I looked behind me to see Vic had a spark in his eye, like he was about to cry. It was extremely emotional to see him like that, considering he's usually very strong and grounded.

"Baby you're crying," I pointed out, laughing lightly when he brought his hand up to his face and ran a finger under his eye.

"How could I not? This is so amazing," he breathed, leaning down to me and kissing my lips firmly.

He went to pull away, but didn't completely. Instead, he let his lips hover over mine for a moment before whispering: "I love you so much. Both of you."

That's when the waterworks began. We had been together for only a few months, but that small frame of time was probably the best months of my life. Now that I was starting a family with the one I knew I wanted to be with for the rest of my life, I felt like I could never come down from cloud nine.

Boy, was I wrong.

--

(: