Chapter 11

Quote from Shiver by Lucy Rose.

--

We broke everything that was right. We both enjoyed a good fight.

I walked out of Copeland's room a few minutes later, saying that I needed something to drink. The kitchen wasn't far away from Copeland's room, so it doesn't take me long to get a glass of water and make my way back to her door.

I stop in the hallway when I hear talking, though. It's hushed, but I can still hear Vic whisper-yelling something about Copeland having not supposed to do something.

"Is everything okay?" I ask when I walked back into the room. I couldn't really make out their conversation much more, so I decided to just ignore it.

"Yeah, everything is fine. Sit and let's play," Vic replied, and I look down to see that the both of them have set up a game.

"You sounded like you were arguing. What about?" I asked, deciding to dig a little deeper. I knew it wasn't really my place to be so concerned, but Copeland actually was my biological child, no matter how much legal authority I had over her.

"Cope just messed up that game pieces is all," Vic told me with a shrug of his shoulders. I decided to let it go and focus on the game.

"Life?" I said, wondering how we were going to play with a six year old. Vic just smiled, though, and said nothing of it.

--

"That was so unfair. I have no idea how what freaking investments are!" Copeland yelled when we finished the game. I ended up winning, and Copeland lost with about fifty dollars in her 'account.'

"Sorry, Cope. Maybe next time," I told her, running my fingers through her hair as we walked out of her room. The game took about an hour to finish, and we were all hungry by the time it was over.

Vic had walked out a few minutes ago, saying he was going to order Chinese while Cope and I picked up all the pieces of the game.

"Food should be here in about twenty minutes." Speak of the devil. He walked out of his room, phone in hand, and came over to me, wrapping his arms around my waist and leaning his head on my shoulder while we stood before Copeland and watched her play in the living room.

"It's crazy to think that I played a part in her existence," I muttered, leaning back onto Vic. He just hummed in response and laughed when Copeland clenched her face up after her tower of blocks fell.

The doorbell rang after a few minutes, indicating that the food was here. Vic let go of me and went over to get his wallet, then opened the door and paid for the food.

"Let's eat!"

The rest of the night was one big party, with Copeland managing to get a noodle in her nose and Vic almost passing out from laughing so hard at Cope and I's karaoke rendition of Ice Ice Baby. That child has some weird fascination with the song.

"Cope, say goodnight to Kellin," Vic instructed, carrying a sleepy and pajama clad six-year-old over to my spot on the couch.

"Night, Kell bell," she whispered, leaning down and kissing me on the cheek.

"Night, Cope," I replied, smiling and kissing her forehead.

Once the little girl was asleep in bed, Vic headed to the bedroom, letting me know that he was going to have a shower. I decided to stay in the living room for a while longer, but got bored and eventually went to see if Vic was finished in the shower yet.

I walked into the room, fully intent on cashing in for the day and going to bed. Sure, I had a lot of fun today, but my energy was almost one-hundred percent drained.