Chapter 16

"Ready to go home?" Cedric asks, "Have you gotten all of your stuff together?" He looks over at me curiously. Nodding, I hold up my trunk. My mind was still on Draco's letter. Even though Cedric has ripped up Draco's letter, I could still remember every single word of it as if I were the one who wrote it. It came as such a shock to me. No way would I have expected this. Cedric nodded back, "Good. Don't forget anything. Mum and dad say they will meet up with us at the train station."

"Okay," I croaked, closing my eyes a moment, then I opened them. Looking behind me, I saw the grand old castle; Hogwarts. I closed my eyes, taking a mental snapshot of Hogwarts. Everyone was bustling around outside. There were people hugging, kissing, whispering 'good-bye.' The trees were covered in snow, you couldn't even see the branches because of that. Snow was still falling all around us. Everyone was in merry spirit. Everyone except me. No one knew it though. I was pretty good at hiding my true feelings around others. No one would even suspect.

Cedric smiled at me, his eyes glimmering. "Can't believe it, Emmy. Time goes by always so fast. I remember when I was a first year here, it took me a while to get the hang of everything. Now it is my final year here. I am going to miss it; Hogwarts is like my second home. I have spent so much of my life wandering the halls, hanging out in the library, playing quidditch. Now the year is halfway over."

"I can't believe it either. Next year, I'm going to be on my own," I replied, smiling myself, "Whatever will I do without you?"

Most siblings don't get along. Yet my brother and I do. I was really going to miss him next year. At least I will get to see him this time next year over the Winter Holidays.

"I am sure that you will be able to manage," Cedric replies, "now come on, let's not miss that train!"

It was late at night. Nearly three o' clock in the morning, yet I still was unable to sleep. His letter replayed in my mind, each word flashing over and over. I passed the point of sleeping. I have to get up. Draco deserves a letter back. What will I say, though? It is not like he was that kind to me. He sure has a strange way of showing that he likes me.

A new thought struck me-that's why he wanted me as his girlfriend! Perhaps he was being weird when I was dragged down with him, being held captive as a prisoner, he was acting strange because he was afraid I was to be injured. After all, I am a Gryffindor, one of Harry's best friends, too, at that. Not exactly 'BFF' material.

Willing myself to get up, I grab a piece of parchment and an a quill to write with. My desk was surprisingly neat-not cluttered as it usually always was. Mum must have cleaned it off for me whilst I was at Hogwarts. neat-not cluttered as it usually always was. Mum must have cleaned it off for me whilst I was at Hogwarts.

Sitting down, I bite my lip, pondering. What would I write? What could I write? What should I write? This was getting absolutely nowhere.

'Draco,

I can't believe my eyes-you, you, of all people, you. I was not expecting this. Surprisingly, somewhere, deep down, I think that I like you as well. Everyone has a good side to them; no matter what it may seem. Public appearances mean the world but to others it's just an act. Meet me underneath the stars at the Black Lake the night we get back to Hogwarts. We will talk there, I promise you that. Please respond to this letter once you can, ASAP!'

Stopping, I realized I had no idea how to end it. Scribbling down 'Emma' seemed to formal and saying sincerely seemed to weird. Rolling my eyes, I reluctantly wrote 'Emma' to close my letter. I fold up the letter, find our family's owl, and send off the letter to Draco.

"Who! Whooo, whoo, whoo!" The sound was everywhere around me, it made no difference when I closed my eyes, shut my eyes tightly. Once that failed, I pulled my pillow over my head, but someone pecked my hand.

"Ow!" I whimper, my eyes opening up, my mind was still groggy and tired with sleep. The shapes and sizes I saw were disorientated. The blur eventually cleared away and I realized that the family owl had waken me up. He was carrying a letter.

Draco's written back! Those three words made me nervous as well as excited. What did he say? I still had another two weeks of break before Cedric and I had to go back to school. I was always excited to go back and see my friends every day. Now, I am much more excited. I have no idea what's come over me, really. Really, I think I have changed, maybe not too much, but at least a little. I mean, I actually, despite everything, believed Draco and the letter.

It all seemed to fit quite well. It suddenly made sense. The thing was; I wasn't sure if I was ready for change. Seamus was still crossing through my thoughts. Who knew what Draco would do...On the other hand, Draco seemed like a changed person, at least when no one was around. Draco has always hit on me, hurt me, talked to me, and now this.

Was I actually thinking this? This is the Draco I have hated for years! The Draco I always feared; hated, even. Now this?

Ripping the letter open, I read every word in a fearful delight.

'Emma,

I'll be sure to meet with you once you get back. I have a surprise for you. Don't tell anyone about this. If anyone found out, my father would find out. Then, soon enough, the Dark Lord himself would find out. Plus, I have a terrible secret-it involves you-know-who and my father. I will explain everything when we meet. Don't fret about it, please. I don't care if you get back together with Seamus, I just had to tell you. No matter what you do, I will be one step behind you. Be careful, stay safe .Don't write back, either, otherwise my dad will find out...

Draco'

Were my eyes deceiving me? Finally, I realized it. Even Draco had his secrets; he wasn't just a rude, arrogant, spoiled jerk. I had to prove this to everyone later on. Make them realize they were wrong. Still, I couldn't ignore a hint of doubt clouding over me-Cedric's voice...

"Does Malfoy really think that you would fall for this? I know that even you're smarter than that, Emma! I know you are!" Cedric grinned, taking my hand, "I know, Emma. I talked to Seamus earlier, he's...he's being stubborn. In the mean time, don't worry about him. Time heals all wounds, my dearest little sister." And he laughed again, ripping up Draco's letter into teeny, tiny shards.