Wounded- Chapter Twenty Four

Começar do início

"You did?"

"Yep."

"Why?"

"Because it's not appealing to me anymore. The only reason why I played was to bond with him, but I'm done. I'm focusing on getting a college scholarship and hopefully be an accountant."

"I'm proud of you man," I told him. "You're already planning on a realistic future. Insha Allah it turns out the way you want."

"If he doesn't try to screw it up," He whispered, but I heard him.

        "Just hang in there, man," I tried to encourage him, but I could see it in his eyes. The same look I had growing up to the words 'he cancelled again' and 'Abu is busy this week. We'll try again next month.' Oh, how those words stung a ten year old.

        "Whenever you need to get away call me. We can have a brother bonding trip."

      "Thanks, bro," Wasim got up from his place on my bed and walked downstairs, more than likely to ask for some of Ummi's cake. That sounds so good right now.

        I was about to follow after him when my phone rang. Ayah? What...

           "Hello?" I asked hesitantly into the phone.

      "Assalamu Alaikum, Jafar."

      "Wa Alaikum Salaam," I replied in surprise. "Is everything okay?"

We haven't talked in almost a month and now she calls me. I'm extatic, believe me, but something has to be wrong.

      "Yeah," She sniffed on the other end. Why is she crying? "I just have to tell you something."

      "Oh," I sighed in relief. At least she's not hurt. "What is it?"

      "I love you."

Woah...

      "I love you, too,"
I laughed. In this situation, that's the only thing that came to mind.

     "There's one more thing."

     "Yeah?"

"I'm pregnant."

She's pregnant? I'm going to be a father? She's going to be a mother? I'm in Florida, she's in New York. I don't have a job. She's pregnant...

Oh, my goodness. What are we going to do?

"Jafar, are you there?"

"Yeah," I said a little over a whisper. "How are you feeling?"

She sniffed and chuckled a little. "I'm fine, what about you?"

"Surprised," I replied truthfully. "When did you find out."

"Today. Uncle Yaman is here, so that's comforting. Oh, and Jafar?"

I couldn't handle standing anymore so I sat down.

"He told me everything," She announced. "I get it now. You had to keep a secret so you wouldnt get my hopes up. I feel so bad! I shouldn't have treated you like that, I'm sorry."