Lies and Truth

"What did you do to him?" I ask.
"Nothing," Heather says, though she doesn't seemed shocked.
"Why does he hate you?"
"Because I broke his heart. Or rather, he broke his own heart. I loved him at first he was gentle and funny. There for me when I needed him. But he changed. I guess he sees it now and that's why he runs but he started to care so much that everything I did that he didn't like..." She paused. "Anything he didn't like he would scold me and tell me why I was bad. We fought and toiled over it for three years. What started as love ended as hate. On both sides. Don't fall into the same trap. People like Corbin never change."
I started to shake. Who should I believe? Obviously both were scarred by this. How could they not be? Corbin sounded more like the devil than Heather did.
I didn't know who to believe so I decided it was best not to do anything.
I didn't want to get involved but I hurt that Corbin brushed me aside. I do love him. It was good that he was asleep when I told everyone. I didn't want enemies so I continued to count Corbin as my friend. He had helped Rose and the others after all.
I turn to thank Heather for warning me but she's gone. Oh well. I need to find Corbin to ensure that he's ok and to confront him.

***

I feel awful. I'm in detention writing about the merits of ethical potions. What on earth is wrong with me? I'd chalk it all up to bad sleep but it's like my ability to control myself is gone. After detention I'm determined to see Bianca and explain what happened between me and Heather. I have Defence Against Dark Arts class with her next.
"It's the end of the period Mr. Miles. Don't miss class again," he warns.
"I won't," I promise.
Yay! Out of detention! It's time to get to D.A.D.A. I see Bianca, James and Albus sitting around a table so I join them.
"Hey guys, what's up?"
"We heard about your outburst. Heck the whole school is talking about it," James says, "way to make a fool out of yourself-."
"Morning class," Harry Potter says as he walks into the room.
"All of you know who I am but I don't want you to make a big deal about it. What I had to do wasn't pretty or heroic so now I'm just a teacher. I'm here to teach you magical combat to repel the so called, "Son of Voldemort". I'm going to teach you the basic spells, such as "stupefy" and "expeliarmus". These are non-lethal spells. You will learn also to block seeing as your enemies outside of this school won't be using tame curses. Mr Miles, Miss Flood? Please come to the front!"
I start to sweat. Hold it together.
We stand and come out to the front of the class.
"Take out your wands," Harry commands.
We do so and point them at each other.
"Corbin, keep your body in parallel with your wand arm. This will minimise your opponent's ability to hit you. That's it. Miss Flood you seem more aggressive in your stance so put your non-wand arm forward in order to  protect yourself from physical type spells such as fire. Put your wand arm back. That's it." He turns to the class.
"This, students are the two most common stances. Each works well enough. Can anyone tell me the flaws with each?"
"Defence is fairly flawless but isn't able to protect their wand arm. A disarming spell is more likely to hit," a girl named Daniella says.
"Good," Harry replies, "What about the other stance?"

***

I put my hand up.
"Yes, Miss McDonald?"
"That offensive stance leaves her open to non-physical attacks such as the killing curse."
"Correct. All stances have flaws and all of you will have to learn how to work around these flaws. Now, you two seek to disarm the other. The spell is "expeliarmus"."
I can see Corbin sizing up his opponent's height and where her blue eyes are looking. He flicks his wand and begins to shout the word and then dives as Heather fires her spell. Quickly  Corbin fires his own spell and it sends her wand flying.
"That was really good Corbin," Harry says, "Most wizards won't hesitate to use spells with the general knowledge being that the quickest wizard wins. Corbin has actually decided to dodge and use mobility to his advantage. He faked out Miss Flood and she lost her concentration. I understand that you won't be able to do it to quick just now but get into pairs and we'll practice disarmament."
After the lesson I go out with Corbin and in the hall I ask, "Corbin! Is what Heather said true? That you treated her awful? She says you broke her heart and that you tried to control her! Is this true?" I ask sharply. He's taken aback. She's right. He did.
"I won't lie to you and say I didn't. Now that you know does that make you love me less?"
I can't decide.
"But now she treats me like garbage. That's the part she missed out. She ignores me when I ask her things now or try and say sorry."
"Do you love me?" I ask.