Ceremony/Troubles

"Hey, Corbin!"
I sit upright and look around. Lily is nudging me.
"We're here," she squeals.
It's the first time I've seen her be so excited about something.
Then again so am I it's my first taste of the wizarding world. Bianca is even more giddy than me. I'm the only person who hasn't changed into my school robes so I do. I don't like the feel  of the robes compared to my hoodie but know that I must wear it. I return to the compartment right as we approach the platform. We all get out and head to the door. There's an older guy standing at the door talking to an even older one at the door.
"Let's go in Ross and do our best to win the Quidittch this year."
"Yeah, Allan, If we believe we can win, we will."
Allan and Ross look at us.
"Oh ho! New first years!" Ross says
"Welcome to Hogwarts, let's break you in." Allan grins cracking his knuckles, "just messing with you," he says as he sticks out a hand.
"I'm Ross and this is my buddy Allan. We're fifth years and on the Quidittch team."
I take Allan's hand and shake it. He's strong.
"I'm Corbin. These are my friends, Lily, James and Albus Potter, Bianca McDonald, Fred and Rose Weasley."
"Wait the Potter's and Weasley's? Like Harry Potter and Ron and Hermione Weasley?"
"The very same," James replied.
"Pleasure to meet all of you guys!" Allan said as he slid the door open. We proceeded down the platform to where an older man was ordering the older years to their respective queues. A big hulking man called for all the first years to follow him. His hair and beard were long and starting to grey. I'm tempted to laugh but decide not to. He looks too kindly and sensitive despite his size.
"Oi'm Hagrid! And Oi'll be escorting you to the feast. Come with me, please."
We follow him away down a path into the forest. It's dark and we can barely see anything at all. If anything it's terrifying just like the new life we're going into. I have friends but I'm still so nervous. I don't know anything about the UK much less magic. I will be scared but I decide to put on a brave face. We arrive at the shore of a lake with several boats waiting for us. We get on and the man mutters a rowing spell and off the boats go. Out to the dark waters.

***

I look up and see lights in the distance.
"That must be Hogwarts," I whisper to Albus.
"Yes, that's it. It's beautiful isn't it?"
"Yeah, I can wait to see the inside of it!" I whisper loudly.
The journey takes about ten minutes with the large man whistling a tune the whole time.
"Who is he?" I ask Corbin.
"Not sure. Fred do you know who the big fellow is?"
"That's Hagrid, the groundskeeper. He's a gentle soul, that's what my dad says," Fred replies.
I laugh to myself. Hagrid seems so intimidating but he isn't really.
Our boats come to a start next to a rickety old dock. We get out, the platform creaking as we do so.
We hurry to more stable ground, not one of us wanting to have to rescued on our first day of school.
Hagrid leads us up into the school and through the halls. It's all made of stone but somehow the castle is still warm and homely. We approach a large door through which I assume is the dining hall.
We enter and see so many people sitting at tables.
"First years over there," Hagrid points.
We sit at the longest table of all.

***

I sit next to Bianca with James on the opposite side of me and listen as an older woman stands up and begins to speak.
"Friends, students, we have gathered today to celebrate your arrival at Hogwarts. Some of you may have been here before and others may have not. We welcome all of you the same. Now we shall begin the Sorting.
"Aaron, Goldman"
They go through our names and every time a student gets up they are told to wear a hat.
"Gryffindor!"
"SLYTHERIN!"
"Huffle...puff!"
"Ravenclaw!"
It's our turn now.
"McDonald, Bianca."
The hat tuts, "Hm, interesting! Brave and selfless. Loves others and will do whatever to make them feel better. You control your fear well... GRYFFINDOR!"
I applaud loudly with the rest of our group.
Then after a while it's my turn.
I walk up to the stool and sit.
The hat is placed on top of my head and it immediately starts talking.
"Well now, you are so caring and kind but you also have the potential for the most darkness. Don't give in to it! Hufflepuff!"
The cheering feels so loud to me as I walk to the table. I sit down and immediately have a bunch of different congrats from people. Allan and Ross are both Hufflepuff. So I sit by them.
It gets to the Potter's turn.
"Potter, Albus!"
Albus gets up and goes to the hat he sits on the stool and puts the hat on his head.
"Hm, yes, you are unsure of the future but put on a brave face. We don't want you to go to a place you'll fit in well but I think that we'll go with... your choice. Gryffindor!"
He walks over to the Gryffindor table smiling.
"Potter, James."
He sits down and the hat immediately says, "Gryffindor!"
"Potter, Lily."
She approaches the hat and puts it on her head.
"Well, well. A smart one here. Strong and noble. You know how to prove your strengths, GRYFFINDOR!" It calls.
Lily looks like she's about to cry.

***

I feel sorry for Lily. She wanted to be a Ravenclaw more than anything.
"Weasley, Fred."
Fred goes up and gets Slytherin and Rose gets Hufflepuff with Corbin. After the ceremony the food appears on the table at McGonagall's command. We are just about to eat when the door breaks open. The lights go out and there's a dark silhouette standing in the doorway.
"Potter! Weasley! Malfoy! On my honour I'll kill you for what you did! As the son of Voldemort!"
Poof! He's gone.