Grandma is at the door by the hour. As soon as she steps foot inside the house, she's on her knees cleaning every spot and then cooking us dinner. I should have called her sooner, Grandma is an independent and strong woman. I want to be like her, I can always rely on her.

"Oh sweetie, you should have called me sooner." She says recalling my thoughts.

"I just didn't think of it." She kisses me on the forehead and we search the phone book for a better doctor to help Mum and Lewis.

I'm going to sort out my life. I'm going to fix things. Right now.

***

Another week passes. We found a new specialist to help Mum and Lewis. Gran has been helping me through the week. She cooks mostly but also provides me some company.

Things are getting better. I know they are. Finals are coming up and I've been studying enough to get me a passing grade.

Harmony hasn't been hanging out with Bridget and me. I don't know why. Some breaks she does, but most of the time she's somewhere else. Bridget and I haven't questioned it because we still catch up on weekends and she acts normal whenever she's with us.

I head to home group as per usual. Kyle sits beside me casually. "Good morning."

"Good morning."

He's a bit of a douche, I will admit, but I haven't seen him with any girls. So when Bridget and Harmony and I thought he was a player, I think we got him wrong.

"Kristen?" He says in a sing song voice and I realise I was staring at him while I was thinking.

"Mm hm?" I hum back.

"What are you thinking about?" He says, then huffs, "Wait, obviously me."

"You wish." I send back. He laughs and then we head off to first class.

I feel better about life. I'm pushing through it like Grandma. Mum even ate dinner with us last night. She's improving. She's better, and I'm so happy about that. I'm more than happy.

After school, I finish my piano lesson and am surprised when Kyle is waiting outside the door. "You're not that bad Kristen."

"Hah. Hah." I say and we walk to the parking lot. "Two helmets?"

"Jeez you are stubborn."

"You brought two helmets?" I repeat.

"Yes darling, I would never do anything to upset you." He passes me a helmet.

"I can put it on myself thank you very much." I start clipping it but the band is too tight. "Why's this thing so tight?"

"Because you put it on wrong." He comes over and puts his hands over mine and guides them so they loosen it.

He focusses on clasp so I can examine his face.

His features are soft but his jaw line is defined. His green eyes don't stray from the clasp so I allow myself to keep staring. He has broad shoulders and is quite tall, at least taller than me. I can't help but realise how perfect he is. Well, his physical features.

He is still a cocky douche bag who is self-centred yet gentle and caring... what the hell am I saying?

What about Chase? Oh c'mon Kristen, you don't even know him. He's just like a celebrity crush, not someone special.

"Ready?"

He drives me home and I don't hesitate to wrap my arms around his middle this time. He's toned. More muscular than I thought.

When we get home, I see Lewis sitting on the front veranda with his new therapist. Kyle quickly unclips the clasp for me and I rush forward to Lewis.

I'm about to hug him, but before I reach him, his face contorts into a frown and he balls his fists.

"What are you doing Kristen?!" He exclaims and grabs my upper arms with iron grip and shakes me roughly. He squeezes so tightly I'm afraid he's going to break my arms.

"Le-Lewis! You're hurting me!" I say and Kyle rushes to my side and attempts pushing Lewis away from me. His therapist starts saying calming things in his ear but I can't hear that because all I'm looking at is Lewis' tear streaked face.

"How could you Kristen! How could you Kristen?" Then a curse word escapes him and Kyle rips me from his grasp.

"Let's go." Kyle takes my hand and we drive off on his bike without bothering with the helmets.

I bury my face into his shoulder and refrain from crying. He looked so much healthier and I ruined it. It's all my fault.