Chapter Twenty

Edd neatly wrote out an equation, folded the strip of paper in half, and handed it to the volunteer standing beside him. At the buzzer, the correct answer was read out, matching the answer on Edd's paper, and points were awarded accordingly. Edd's team was doing splendidly, holding firm to the second place slot. They were certain that they could pull ahead in the bonus round. Three questions later, the supervising teacher called for a ten minute break. Two of his team members walked off in search of a snack and the third put his headphones in and shut his eyes, leaning his head back. Edd let out a sigh and rolled his neck. He used the motion as an excuse to glance around the crowd of students.

He thought back on his actions that morning and felt a little guilty. He'd intentionally failed to tell Kevin when the carpool was leaving for Riverside. By the time it occurred to the redhead to ask, they were halfway to the elementary school. Kevin had been less than pleased-his response was simply [u little shit]-and while Edd certainly didn't approve of the language, he felt that he deserved the sentiment behind the text. As far as Edd could tell, his plan had worked; Kevin was nowhere in sight and hadn't been all morning. Still, Edd couldn't help but wish he'd allowed the jock to come. It would've been nice to know someone was cheering him on. He debated trying to text Kevin, but before he could make up his mind his phone buzzed. He pulled it out and smiled as Kevin's name flashed across the screen.

[looking for me?]

[Of course not! I left you in Peach Creek. Why would I be looking for you?]

[uh huh. turn around, dork.]

Edd spun around so quickly he nearly fell out of his chair. His teammate snickered and Edd shot him a dirty look. Kevin stood just outside the barriers marking off their section of the auditorium. He waved. Shyly, Edd waved back. He stood up and ran over, wrapping his arms around the other. He sighed when he felt Kevin return the hug.

"How did you get here?" he asked.

"I took the bus, and let me tell you, I am not happy about it. I had to sit next to this crazy homeless lady the whole way here." Kevin frowned as Edd giggled. "Why didn't you let me come? I said I wanted to."

"Oh, I just...I didn't think you would find any of this interesting."

"Well, to be honest, I don't. But it's important to you. I want to support you and shit. Besides..." He leaned in and brushed the tip of his nose against Edd's ear. "Do you really think I'd miss out on the chance to take you out on a date?"

Edd inhaled sharply and shook his head. "Well," he said breathily, "I am certainly glad to see you. Our team is confident. I think we may even be able to pull ahead into first place!"

The supervisor called the minute warning. Edd said goodbye to Kevin, who wished him luck. Thirty minutes and one bonus round later, Edd stood in front with the rest of his team to receive their first place ribbon. Kevin clapped enthusiastically, glad the event was finally over. He'd nearly fallen asleep twice. He didn't understand how Edd could possibly be so excited for something so mind-bogglingly boring, but it was nice to see the little dork so happy. The team stood still for a couple of photos before breaking off to go in their own directions. Edd ran over to Kevin.

"How did I do?" he asked breathlessly.

"You were the dorkiest of them all," Kevin chuckled. "So, can we go celebrate? You're done, right?"

Edd bit his lip, looking over at his teacher. "Ah...one moment, please." He approached his teacher and waited patiently for him to finish a conversation with a parent. "Excuse me, Mr. Stiles, but I was wondering if I was needed for any other events."

Mr. Stiles thought for a moment. "Well, I was hoping you would take the chemistry demonstration for me. Our regular competitor called in sick this morning."

"Oh, dear. Well, of course, I'm perfectly willing to-"

"I'll take it."

Edd spun around, surprised to hear his teammate interrupt him. The quiet teen shoved his headphones into his pockets and looked over at Edd.

"If it's alright with you, Mr. Stiles, I think Edd here has somewhere he needs to be. I don't mind taking the event."

"Of course, of course!" Mr. Stiles beamed. "Thank you very much. Let's go get you registered, shall we?"

The boy nodded and waved at Edd. "Have fun on your date," he called over his shoulder.

Edd did a double-take. Date...? How did he know? He shook it off, dismissing it as a teasing remark and nothing deeper. He walked back over to Kevin.

"We may depart now, if you wish," he said.

Kevin took his hand and led him out of the school building. "Welcome to our first date, dork."

Edd blushed. "Thank you. What are we going to do?"

Kevin placed a finger over Edd's lips. "That's a secret. But you're gonna love it. Come on."