Chapter Twenty Two

"Merry Christmas!"

Nazz greeted Kevin with a hug, dragging him into the house. He laughed, hugged her back, and ruffled her hair. The house was decked out in lights and plastic decorations. Her house was always the most festive in the cul-de-sac, and she was proud of it. This year was the first year that her extended family wasn't coming for the holidays, so her parents gave her permission to throw a Christmas Eve party for her friends around the cul-de-sac. As her best friend, Kevin naturally was roped into helping set up. He was glad to help; he hadn't seen much of Nazz lately and he missed her.

"So how's it been, Nazz?" he asked.

She passed him a box of ornaments and shrugged. "It's been alright. School sucks, you know?"

He nodded. "I hear you."

"So..." she began. She pulled out a few ornaments and hung them on the tree. "How's it going with Double D?"

"Good."

Nazz gave him a look that could curdle milk. "Details, dude! I need details!"

"Jeez! Fine! But there isn't much to tell. We just chill at his house and watch movies and do homework and shit. We went on a date a couple months ago, but I already told you about that. And that's it."

"God, you're the most boring couple I've ever heard of."

"Hey, what else are we supposed to do? Well, then, what about you, huh? You got a boyfriend?"

Nazz blushed and looked away. "N-No! Of course not."

He laughed and pushed her playfully. "Duh. You would've told me."

She laughed nervously, her face twisted into an odd expression. "Right."

Kevin raised an eyebrow and opened his mouth to ask her about it, but the doorbell rang. Saved by the bell, he thought wryly. He began placing ornaments on the tree himself as Nazz went to get the door. She sounded surprised but invited the visitor in. Kevin didn't bother turning around; he knew Rolf was planning on helping out as well, once his chores were finished. He reached behind him and pointed at the floor

"Hey, Rolf, hand me that string of lights, would you?"

Two hands, one holding the end of the lights, reached around Kevin in a tight hug. Kevin's face lit up and he whirled around, nearly spilling the box of ornaments. Ignoring Nazz's complaint, he threw his free arm around his boyfriend.

"Edd! I didn't know you were coming so early. What are you doing here?"

Edd smiled and laughed, sticking his tongue between the gap in his teeth. "I thought I might surprise you. Nazz knows we are a couple, and it will be nice for a little while to not worry about our actions."

Kevin frowned slightly. He knew it bothered Edd to keep their relationship hidden. "Yeah, I guess it will be..."

"Besides!" Edd replaced the sad look on his face with a cheerful one. "I brought a cake for the party, and I need Nazz's wonderful artistic abilities to assist in decorating it."

"Oh, you flatter me!" Nazz waved him away. She picked up the cake box. "Come on, let's take it to the kitchen. It's still a little warm, so we should wait to decorate it. Why don't you stay here and decorate the tree, Edd? I need Kevin's help with something, and he's doing an awful job of it anyway."

Kevin passed the box to Edd and kissed his forehead before following Nazz into the kitchen. She placed the cake on the counter among the other snacks she had set out. She had Kevin begin to pour the punch out and mix it with some lemon-lime soda. She looked over her shoulder to make sure Edd was out of earshot and leaned over the counter.