Chapter 48: Alexander

Chapter 48 Alexander

"Hey." A soft hand landed on my shoulder and shook me slightly. I had no desire to open my eyes, to act like I heard them, I just wanted to be alone.

It didn't hurt that I lost. I knew I was going to. I knew the Captain would defeat me in battle. That was obvious. What hurt was how Ariella made me quit. How she gave up on us without a fight.

I knew that wasn't fair. I knew that that wasn't the issue. I truly believe it was the other way around. She loved me and couldn't watch me get killed. At least, that's what I'd like to believe. That's the only thing that helps.

"Alexander, I know you're awake so open your damned eyes and talk to me!" A shrill voice exploded in my ears and the hand punched my good shoulder.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you to be nice to the injured?" I grumbled as my eyes opened to look up at Shanae, her eyes dancing with anger.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you not to be an idiot and ignore people?" She demanded, her arms crossed in front of her as her fingers drummed on her arms. "I came to tell you they found Ariella."

"Found her? Where?" I demanded, my body tensing as I looked up at her, her eyes looked down and her face scrunched softly as if trying to stop her feelings from showing.

"In the abandoned part of town. Where the ancient Healers lived." She sighed and glanced away before collapsing in a nearby chair. Her head fell into her heads and her shoulders rose and fell as she breathed. "She was found unconscious in the old garden late last night, drenched from the rain."

"Is she alright?"

"She developed a fever last night. A bad one." Shanae sighed again as she refused to make eye contact. "Apparently she keeps mumbling things in her sleep."

"Like?"

"Apologies mostly. A few one word questions here and there. Some names. Anything more than that are things that no one can understand."

"What are they doing for her?" I demanded as I pushed myself up, my body screaming in pain as I swung my legs over the bed and glared at her.

"What they always do?" Shanae shrugged as she hugged her legs to her chest. "Her parents don't want any visitors at the moment, not that I can blame them."

"If she wakes up and sees her friends there, that could help her though." What were they thinking? Were they afraid that someone would come and steal her away? Would make her worse than she already was? It didn't make any sense, not to me at least.

"Yes, but I think it had something to do with what I said." Shanae gave me a mischievous grin and a small wink before looking away again, leaving me to stare at her with confusion. A moment passed before she sighed, her eyes flicking back to me. "You want to know, right?"

"Yes!" I exclaimed, wondering what she could have said that irritated Ariella's parents. She let out a small snort and shook her head softly, her arms tightening around her legs.

"I may have mentioned that, this time, they held most of the responsibility for what happened to Ariella." Her eyes twinkled with merriment as she studied my horrified face, her laughter ringing in my ears. "Only the sister, Brittney, agreed. The mother reluctantly accepted, and the others clammed up and I knew I said too much."

"If it's anyone's fault, it's mine!" I exclaimed as my hand rose and collided with my forehead.

"Well, you could have turned them down when they challenged you." Shanae pointed out, the tips of her pointer fingers touching.

"No, I couldn't." I sighed as I pinched the top of my nose. "I need you to do me a favor."

"Anything."

"I have an aunt who's an herbalist, she works in the greenhouse. While I was growing up, she made this drink thing that helped with fevers." My eyes lifted and made contact with hers and I leaned forward. "I want you to go find her, she should be at work. Her name is Margaret Morales. Tell her I'd appreciate it if she could make some of that medicine for Ariella and that I'll pay her back."

"You do realize, you don't have any obligation-"

"I don't give a damned about obligation!" I shouted and then took a deep breath to calm myself. "I can't talk to her, I can't be with her, or see her anymore. I understand that. But they cannot stop me from caring about her. If she's sick, then she needs medicine and my aunt's been experimenting with this for years."

"It's more than just caring about Ariella." Shanae grumbled and blew a strand of her hair out of the way. "You love her."

"I guess I'm more obvious than I thought."

"Who would go through everything you went through for her unless they were in love?" She demanded before jumping up and stretching. "I'll head over to the green house and talk to your aunt for you. As of right now, just rest and leave everything to me."

"One more thing." I interrupted as I scooted back on my bed. "Have Isabella take the medicine."

"Fair enough. She might be a bit nicer than I was." Shanae giggled before whipping around and walking away. My eyes followed her retreating back until she slipped out the door and disappeared.

I'll watch out for you. I promised to myself. Just because I could never speak to her, doesn't mean that I'll stop loving her, that I'll stop caring about her, that I'll stop protecting her.

i