Chapter 73: Alexander

"Five Trackers found dead in their beds overnight?" Thomas Mathews demanded as he stepped closer to me, his eyes staring at the paperwork his father had given me.

"Throats sliced wide open." I sighed as I studied the words, the names wavering slightly as I stared at them. "Those who were married were killed with their wives besides them."

"One of the women were killed too." Captain Mathews sighed as he walked in with King Stephen following close behind. "Her eyes were open so it would be safe to assume she saw the murderer."

"But why kill five random people?" Mrs. Mathews demanded, her eyes glinting darkly as she stepped forward. "A murderer with no real goal in mind? I don't believe that's how it works."

"It isn't." King Stephen agreed with a bland sigh. "We're having each of the homes investigated and we're hoping to have it finished within the month."

"And how many more people are going to end up dead before that?" She demanded and I found myself agreeing with her. With no obvious pattern, no concrete idea on what the murderer is after, there was no way to realize who would be next.

"Right now, we need to worry about keeping order. With things getting out of control like this, we need to make it appear like we know what's going on and we're handling it." King Stephen explained to her and then turned to study each of the Mathews in turn before his eyes falling onto me. "Until then, I am ordering a night watch on the Captains and Apprentice's homes. It would be believable that they would be a target as well."

"We'll also add to the night guard in the City as well." Captain Mathews walked towards his desk, his hands fumbling with the parchment in front of him.

"I also believe we should increase the guard on Lady Ariella." King Stephen explained, his arms crossing in front of him. "If this is the work of the traitor-"

"Then maybe those people knew who it was!" Brittney exclaimed, her eyes glancing over at her twin, realization settling in there eyes.

"Care to share?" Dimitri demanded, irritation flooding his eyes.

"It's simple, isn't it?" Natalie grinned. "If any of those people knew who the traitor was, wouldn't they have written it down somewhere? In case they were killed?"

"Aye, but wouldn't the traitor know that as well?" I reminded them and watched as her nostrils flared slightly in frustration. "Unless they were able to outwit the man or woman, any note they may have left is gone."

"Even if it's still there and they hid it, what makes you think we could find it?" Robert demanded, his fingers tapping the top of his leg in frustration. "The killer would have been looking for it and probably found it. If they left a clue, it would be gone."

"You just love to ruin things for me, don't you?" Natalie pouted which resulted in Robert rolling his eyes.

"If it counts for anything, Father, I agree that Ariella should have more people guarding her at all times." Robert stepped forward, his hand resting on his sword. "While we can fight to protect ourselves, Ariella is completely defenseless."

"Even if she knew how to fight, it wouldn't matter next month anyway." Dimitri sighed bitterly as he leaned against the wall, his eyes darkened in frustration.

"That's true." Thomas sighed. "With her sixteenth birthday, she'll be required to take her Vow."

"And we all know that she'd take the Vow of a Healer." Mrs. Mathews sighed as she turned to her husband. "Is there anyway we can get this taken care of before then? The last thing we need is Ariella to be unable to even wield a knife in self defense with a killer on the loose."