Chapter 44: Alexander

Chapter 44 Alexander

His eyes were clouded with anger and hatred as he stared down at me, his sword swaying slightly from where he stood. His anger clouded his judgement, he thought he held a perfect stance, but he didn't. He was too rigid, like the other two were. He would rush me, his sword timed for kill shots, his feet pounding towards me.

I've seen his fighting style many times. He was brilliant when he was on the offensive, but was weak on the defensive. The Protectors higher up weren't trained for defensive fighting. At least, not well enough to stand on their own for long. The streetwalkers, however, were trained defensive fighting so that they could get the civilians to safety. We were trained differently depending on the purpose of future life.

But I had Nicoli, my father, and my uncles. I had many people in my life who helped me learn how to fight offensively. Biting back a smile as I remembered how I used to sneak into the training sessions that people like Thomas Mathews had to endure. I had trained myself, my friends and family helped me.

I couldn't let that go to waste now.

"Begin!" Lieutenant Peterson shouted. Almost instantly, Thomas's Mathews eyes closed and I swore to myself as I quickly followed suit. I knew exactly what he was doing. He was the first one who called on his Power, the first one who thought that he needed it. Without it, I was screwed.

Come! I shouted into my mind, demanding for it to come to me.

Almost instantly, I felt the effects. My eyesight heightened immensely, everything perfected, not a hazy line anywhere near me. The sensitivity of my skin intensified, every droplet of sweat slipping down my head and back, sliding down my skin. My sense of smell improved as well, every scent you could imagined filled my nose and I was grateful for all of the experience that I had before now since it wouldn't drive me insane. Every sound echoed in my head, every step of the foot, the click of the tongue and the constant chatter. Without the practice that I had, it would have driven me insane, but that wouldn't happen. Tuning out the unnecessary noises, I could hear as Thomas took a step towards me, the sound of his sword sounding in the wind.

"Thomas, no!" His father shouted and I knew why. My eyes were still closed and it was considered dishonorable to attack someone who wasn't ready. But that didn't matter to Thomas. He wanted to end this, to stop his sister from being hurt by the threat.

My eyes flew open and I stared at him rushing towards me. He ran towards me slowly, each step bringing him closer. Then, he was on top of me, his sword coming down on my head. My arm tensed as I shoved my sword upwards. A high pitched clang sounded through my head and he winced from the noise.

Smiling inside as a plan formulated in my mind, I swung down at his legs, his sword colliding with mine and another wince. Perfect.

Stabbing at my stomach, Thomas Mathews threw himself forward, all of his force behind the blade, his anger making him foolish. Sliding to the left, his sword flew harmlessly beside me, his body following closely behind. Whipping around, I slammed the back of my sword against his leg. A scream tore from his lips and I knew why. When you can intensify your feelings, you intensify the pain as well. By hitting him as hard as I did, it would hurt worse than breaking a bone.

He turned and faced me once again, irritation exploded through him. I was sure Ariella had never seen him like this, but I had. He gets like this every time someone gets hurt, every time some is in danger and he can't help them. He gets reckless, like he has something to prove.

Thomas Mathews charged me again and I jumped out of the way, but he was waiting for me this time. His sword slashed at me, his sword slicing my shirt, and a searing pain exploded from the small slice he gave me on my stomach.

Glancing up to see the cocky grin on his face, I found myself skipping backwards as he charged me. No wonder he was an amazing fighter, even in anger he could plan out the attacks. He knew when and where to strike, but he was slow. Smiling back at him, I sprinted to the left, my feet pounded on the ground as I ran to the wall, Thomas following as fast as he could.

"Stop running, coward!" The crowd's words echoed in my mind as I sprinted towards the wall. Kicking myself off the ground, my feet pressed against the wall and I shoved myself off, giving me that extra boost I needed to sprint behind Thomas. A swear left his lips as he whipped around, his sword swinging down at my legs. Lashing my sword across his knuckles, a sickening snap sounded in the arena as a couple of them broke.

"Bastard." He shouted as he grasped onto the blade with his left hand, the sword slashing through the air towards my sword arm. Grinding my teeth as I bounded forward, my sword rising to stop his in midair. A loud pitched clanging sound exploded in my ears as my left first burrowed its way into his stomach. A grunt left his lips as his sword battled against mine, neither losing ground. "There's no way you should be able to keep up with me." Thomas Mathews growled, his voice low and dark. "Unless-" Realization filled his eyes and I tensed.

I had to end this, now.

Tearing my sword away from his, I bit back the urge to scream as his sword bit into my shoulder. Shoving my elbow into his arm, knocking the sword away, I shoved the pinpoint of the blade to Thomas Mathew's neck, the cold metal pressing against his skin.

"That has to be it." He sniggered at me, dark humor flooding his eyes. "You're like me, you can heighten everything."

Tensing slightly, I shoved myself away, dying to ignore the pain inside of me.

"You won't stand a chance!" He shouted behind me. "My father will pulverize you."

"Aye." I nodded, squaring my shoulders as I turned to face him. "But I'm going to try anyway."