26 – 31 – 06

I tug. Nothing

26 – 31 – 06

Again, nothing. I get frustrated and try one last time. When it fails to work, I stomp my heel against the ground and bite down my tongue to keep myself from screaming about my deep hatred for locks. Noah just laughs at me.

“Here, let me help.”

He grabs the lock, spins it, and clicks in the combination. The lock clicks open.

“I hate locks,” I mutter.

Noah chuckles.

Next thing I know, I’m standing on the middle of the track and our teacher is taking going over our procedure over the course of our year. Of course, I find it redundant considering she’s been our teacher for the past three years, so we all know how the class is run. Nevertheless, she doesn’t fail to bore us with instructions.

“Olivia Becket,” she calls my name while taking attendance.

“Here,” I reply. What the hell is this, kindergarten? Then I remember she only takes attendance for the first week, until she familiarizes herself with all of our faces.

Noah stands behind me, playing with my ponytail, tossing it back and forth and combing his fingers through my hair. I just ignore him and let him do what he wants. He’s here when the teacher goes down the list of names, without paying much attention.

“Kale Martin?” the teacher calls.

“Yeah,” he replies.

My heart stops beating for half a second. Mr. Sexy is in my gym class? I get to see him run and sweat? And if the guys play shirts vs. skins, I might get to see him shirtless? … Well, I’m not complaining.

“Chloe McKinnon?”

“Here!”

Okay. Now I’m complaining.

What are the chances that all of us would end up in the same gym class? When the teacher is done taking attendance, she sends us off to do what we want. One of the great things about being a senior, the teachers know the students don’t care anymore, therefore they don’t care anymore.

I don’t exactly feel like running around and getting all gross and sweaty, especially since I can already feel the sun’s pounding rays on my shoulders. I watch Chloe start walking around the track with what’s-her-name friend from yesterday’s lunch table, and I see Kale join the other guys in the middle of the track on the football field.

“What do you wanna do?” Noah pokes me.

So childish.

I’m not about to become the creepy Kale stalker girl of the year, so I decide with just walking around the track. Besides, I can’t catch a football if my life depended on it. It’s not that I’m uncoordinated. Toss me a softball, and sure, I can catch it; but throw a pointy leather ball that’s spinning like a screw at my face, and yeah, not so much.

We started walking around the track, just him and me, but I could feel the presence of many more eyes. Caught some guy in our class looking at me. His eyes dropped to my legs and back up to my chest before returning to my face. Yeah, that’s right, check me out. I didn’t buy these booty shorts for nothing. He smiles at me when he noticed that I saw him and turned around awkwardly. I refrain from laughing too loudly.

“Hey, Liv? Can I ask you something?” Noah asks as we make our second loop around the track.

“You’re going to ask it anyways, but sure.”

“What happened yesterday with Kale?”

Sometimes Noah really makes me want to roll my eyes at him. I’ve fought back the temptation a million times before, and I can do it again. Instead, I look at him and smirk.

“Nothing, Noah.”

“Why does everyone keep saying nothing? Just tell me.”

“Don’t worry about it, really.”

“Liv, I am worried about it. I’m worried about you. I know Kale, we’ve been buds for a while, and I think you should keep your distance from him?”

“Why do you say that?” I pout.

“He’s the biggest freaking player in the whole school. He has girls chasing after him from every angle, and I don’t want you to get sucked into that.”

“And I have guys chasing after me from every angle,” I say simply. “It doesn’t mean anything.”

Noah turns his head away. Is he seriously annoyed with me?

“Well for your information, we kissed.” I lift my finger to my lips to let him know to keep shush about it.

“YOU KISSED?” he blurts out.

I lightly shove him to shut him up, even though I’d rather tackle him to the ground and cover his mouth with my hand. Looking around to see if anybody heard, I meet the eyes of Kale, staring right at me. Cover blown. Thanks a lot, Noah.

“Can you seriously just stay out of this?” I snap at him.

Noah grinds his teeth together and shrugs. I’m honestly surprised neither of us have stormed off by this point. Class doesn’t drag on much longer afterwards and I leave Noah and go to the girls locker room.