Chapter 4: Planning

Chapter 4: Planning

“Hey, how was your first day back at school?” My mother is supposed to greet me as I walk into the house.

“Great!” I would answer. “I loved seeing everybody after the summer and I caught up with a few of my friends.”

But no. Instead she sits at our kitchen counter with her cell phone up to her ear in one hand and a can of beer in the other. She’s gossiping or bragging or something of that manner about the what’s what around town to who I assume is my aunt. She doesn’t bother to pick up her head, wave, or give any sort of small acknowledgement to me that she knows I’m home. Typical mother.

I don’t let her attitude bring me down for more than a split second. I kissed Kale for crying out loud! I need to text me girls right away. I run up to my bedroom, accidentally slamming the door with all the adrenalin I have. I kick off my heels and plug my I-pod into the docking station to blare some music.

“Hey carls! u still with maddy?” I text Carly.

“Yea! what happened with u and kale?? ;)”

“U will never believe this, but we KISSED! <3 :)”

NO WAY. how? when? where?”

“Right after he dropped me off he got out of the car and asked if i would kiss him!”

“Hes soo HOT. were jealous!”

“Speaking of hot, he said my heels made me look it =)”

“Daaamn, someones a little flirty ;) haha but I g2g so ill ttyl, luv ya!”

“Cya tmrw!”

I snap my phone shut and throw myself onto my bed. I feel foolish, but I really just can’t stop smiling. The first day back at school and I already have the hottest guy wrapped around my finger. This year is going to be amazing! I stand up and walk over to my door mirror.

So this is the girl Kale wanted to kiss? I smile to myself. I had to admit, I really do look good today. I still have my nice summer tan so I don’t need to worry about going tanning any time soon. My hair has that nice sexy beach style to it, and it’s all natural. I turn sideways to check out my proportions. Everything’s in tact as far as I’m concerned—long, thin legs, flat stomach, and decent sized breasts.

I lift up my shirt just a tad to observe my stomach. I wonder if I should get my navel pierced. Now that summer’s over, I guess there really isn’t a point. I sigh. Now that summer’s over, I should be focusing on school. I’ll be applying for colleges soon, so I need to do well this first semester.

I spin around, grab my book bag off the floor, and slowly bring myself to do my homework. Before I know it, six o’clock rolls around and my father’s texts me to let me know the food’s here. It’s not exactly a “family dinner” but it’s the next closest thing. My dad usually brings home takeout on the way home from work because my mom never feels like actually making dinner.

I finish the last bit of my precalc homework and head downstairs. My mother’s picking at her fries, talking loudly to my father who looks dead exhausted.

I stare at the fast food my dad brought home. My stomach craves it but my mind rejects it. The air practically tastes of grease and salt. I have to keep my figure looking good. So instead, I walk to the fridge and pull out the necessary things to make myself a turkey sandwich.

“You know, your brother’s coming home this weekend to visit,” my father says to me.

Oh yeah, thanks dad! I think sarcastically. My first day of school was wonderful.

“You’re going to have to get your act together if you want to go to a college as half as good as your brothers,” my mother adds.

I roll my eyes. “I’m not Patrick, mom. I’m not a freakin’ genius, but I’m not stupid either.”

I nearly storm out of the kitchen, but instead, I finish making my sandwich and then go upstairs. Who the hell do my parents think they are? Patrick this, Patrick that. Your brother’s so perfect, Liv, why can’t you be more like him? I grind my teeth together. Just because I won’t end up in Princeton like him doesn’t mean I’m going to end up not getting into college and living in my parent’s basement for the rest of my life.

Focus on something else, I tell myself. My mind immediately flickers to Kale. I can practically feel my heart fluttering in my chest. See? I’ve got something going for me. I reach my room again and see my phone blinking on my bed. I pick it up to find a new message from Noah.

“Hey liv! how ya feelin?”

I glare at my phone, wishing he could receive it. Hadn’t he just rudely left me at my locker a few hours ago? I don’t bother replying, I’m not in the mood to text him. I begin eating my sandwich and working more on my homework, in between checking my facebook on my laptop. My phone rings again. Can’t this kid just take a hint? I reach for my phone. To my surprise, it’s not Noah, but Ty.

Ur still coming to my party friday right?”

“Of course! wouldnt be a party without me ;)”

“Haha probably not. i know at least i wouldnt have as much fun”

I crack a smile. Oh, Ty. He’s had a crush on me for quite some time now. I wonder what he’d do if he found out that I’m with Kale now. Then again, he will see Kale and I together at the party anyways. Hell, we’ll probably even go together. Just me and him. Not that Chloe McKinnon girl. Shit! What if she’s going? I can’t have her ruin my night.

“Consider me there =) on one condition…” I text him back.

“Sure what is it?”

“DONT invite chloe mckinnon.”

“That really shy dark haired girl in our class?”

“Yea haha”

“U jealous? :P”

“Ha me? never ;) i just get a bad vibe from her. i hear shes bad news.”

“Well id rather have u there than her. so ill make sure she doesnt come.”

“Thanks babe <3 =)”

“Anytime beautiful :)”

 I release a breath of relief. Now that that’s taken care of, my mind can finally be at peace. Just Kale and me, this will be perfect. We’ll hit it off at the party, go to the movies on Saturday and practically be an official couple by Monday. The party’s on Friday, which is only two days away, so if I can keep Kale’s attention until then, there is no way my plan can go wrong. With that, I get up and choose my outfit for tomorrow.