Tears

Tears:

Warning: This chapter contains scenes of graphic violence!

The attack had lasted only a few seconds. One second Team Seven, Tsunami, Tazuna and even Inari say around the wooden table in the living room of the small house near the half finished bridge, the next, hell broke loose.

A 'Look out' from Kakashi had been the only warning before the ceiling had been ripped away by a water style ninjutsu. A masked ninja had jumped through the immense hole, into the wooden table and had thrown a brigade of shuriken at the other ninjas. Then he had jumped back, through the ceiling into the cold night.

Even though none of the shuriken had found a target, they had achieved their mission. Enraged, Naruto had grapped one of the thrown kunai and had gone after the enemy.

A cursing Kakashi had gone after him, Sasuke on his heels, trying to stop the boy, leaving Sakura alone at the destroyed house.

Although she had heard the sounds of clashing kunai, Sakura had never left the house, staying with the frightened family to protect them, especially from their urge to flee outside. 'The battle is outside!' Sakura had shouted. 'It's save in here!' But all her shouting had been useless, in his panic, Inari had slipped out of Sakura's grasp through the door, which had been opened by the shockwave caused by the pervious attack.

Before Sakura could decide whether she should bring the young boy back or stop Tazuna from storming after his grandson, it had been to late already. Tazuna, desperate to safe his grandson, had followed the boy outside before Sakura had had a chance to stop him and had run straight into the arms of an approaching enemy ninja.

Reaching out, the girl had hoped to pull the vulnerable adult back, before the enemy could finish his job, but her efforts had been in vain. Sakura could only touch Tazuna's back, unable to pull him into safety. So she could only watch as a half Moon shaped sword had impaled the bridge builder, the blade slicing through his body like through warm butter. Sheer could only watch as blood had splattered from the fatal wound in Tazuna's chest and from the moon shaped sword. Could only watch as the enemy had retreated into the dark after a finished job. Tazuna's lifeless body had stood still for a second, maybe two, before falling backwards into the still outstretched arms of a pink haired girl.

All strength had left her, leaving her on the cold, must ground holding Tazuna's pale head in her lap. She had not cared about the blood flowing freely from the open turning the fabric of her skirt into a dark red. She had felt numb, not realizing anything around her, neither Inari's heartbreaking scream, nor the subsiding of battle sounds around her. Not even her own tears, falling freely from her green eyes, mixing with the crimson blood she was covered with, could snap her out of her trance.

The blade had penetrated Tazuna's body close to his heart, close enough to cause irreversible damage to both heard and lung. A highly skilled medic might have saved him - such an injury was always a gamble, either the body is strong enough or not - but not even a less skilled medic had been present. Even Kakashi, one of the most skilled ninjas Sakura had known, wouldn't have the necessary knowledge to heal such an injury.

Never had she seen someone dying, even as a ninja. She had heard of it, read about how to deal with dearth, but nothing had prepared her for this.

Her mind had been in shock, blocking everything, really everything, out, leaving her conscious but unaware of her surroundings. She had not responded to her teammates calming words, not to Inari's accusing words and not to Tsunami's crying. She had simply sat there, not letting anyone through her mental barrier until she had lost consciousness.