Prologue

She sat on her bed, her feet dangling. Swinging them back and forth gently, liking the cool wind that kissed the back of her heels. She didn't look up when her bedroom door creaked open and light cut through the darkness. Instead she waited for Newt, her best friend and boy she loved, to sit next to her as he did every morning.

When she feels the weight on the mattress next to her hips she looks up and takes his hand that was resting next to hers.

They don't say anything but instead sit in the quiet room. She strokes the back of his hand with her thumb and looks down to it with a frown. She knew one of them had to speak soon, so she decided it might as well be her.

"Newt..." she says softly. She looks up to his knowing eyes and he nods. Every time he looked at her she was reminded of the inevitable fate they both shared.

"I know." His British accent sent butterflies through her stomach.

"What are we going to do?" she asks, already knowing the question.

"The only thing we can." He sighs and takes her other hand. "Listen, tomorrow we're going to go in that box, and go see our other friends again. Okay, Isabelle?"

She looks from his brown eyes down to their entwined hands.

"But," she says and curses the tears that demand to be let out. "I don't want to forget you."

He doesn't say anything again, but she knows he feels the same. He lets out a small breath and pulls her into his lap, wrapping his arms around her. She rests her head on his chest and he kisses the top of her head.

After a moment, Newt speaks up again.

"How about we go and have a day we can't forget about, then?"

Isabelle's lips curl up at the thought of a day off from WICKED. Newt takes this as a yes and stands. He tugs on her hand to get her to stand and then rushes out her bedroom door with her in tow.

Sneaking out from WICKEDs headquarters would be difficult, but they'd done it before.

Newt pressed his back to a white wall and released Isabelle's hand. She waited while he peeked around the corner. She watches as he leans his head over far enough to see the brightly lit hallway. He leans back quickly and presses even further into the wall. He shakes his head at Isabelle.

The only sound to be heard was the hum of the lights above them and the quiet footsteps that seemed to grow louder. Isabelle's breath picked up and her heart pounded against her ribcage. What lie would she tell them?

A man Isabelle knew as Mr. Larsen walked into the hallway they were hidden in. Newt and Isabelle froze.

"We-uh..." Isabelle stammered.

"You want out. A last hoorah." Mr. Larsen smiled and folded his arms. "You don't really think you're the first to try this, right?"

Isabelle's shrugged. Mr. Larsen rolled his eyes and stepped to the side. He made a big sweeping gesture with his arms, ushering them through.

"You're going to let us go?" Newt asks.

"Yes, before I change my mind. Better hurry."

He winked at them and Newt had no hesitation grabbing Isabelle's hand and running to the doors. Mr. Larsen followed to scan his keycard for the doors to open. Isabelle muttered a quick thank you before she ran through the door.

***

They spent the day in their meadow, the one they claimed for themselves. It's where they went whenever they snuck out.

They sat in a tree with Isabelle's head resting on Newts shoulder. The sun was starting to go down and neither were ready for the day to end.

Isabelle smiles to herself and turns to Newt.

"Remember when we had our picnic here?" She smiles when his face goes cherry red.

"Yes, I do." He shakes his head and chuckles lightly.

"I still can't believe you forgot the food for it."

"Hey! It's the thought that counts."

"I guess," she laughs.

Once the sun hits a hill and covers the meadow with a dark blanket, Newt sighs.

"It's time to go back, love." Newt untwines their hands and begins to climb down the tree, helping Isabelle when she followed after.

Soon they were back at WICKEDs doors and a feeling of dread covered them both. Tomorrow was the day they'd been worried about for years. The doors slide open and an angry Chancellor Paige stood waiting. She was the one who ran WICKED, and she wasn't happy with them.

"Here we go," Newt sighs.

***

Isabelle couldn't sleep that night. She tossed and turned. Would she remember Newt? Probably not. That scared her more than anything.

She stayed awake, asking herself questions she already knew the answer to and wish it would change. But eventually, the morning came and the first light of dawn peeked through the window in her room.

She sat up and got dressed hurriedly. Once she left her room, she went to the operating room that she'd seen so many of her other friends walk into and never come out. At least, now, she'd get to talk to them, even if she didn't know who they were. That was something, right?

Isabelle sat on one of the two metal tables which was cold against her bare hands. This one was for her, the other for Newt.

Suddenly, an idea struck her. She knew she had a couple minutes before anyone came in, so she ran to the table of tools. She grabbed a marker and yanked the cap off with her teeth. She pulled up her sleeve and started to hastily scribble a few words on her arm.

Clicking heels sounded and then Chancellor Paige was standing in the room.

"What are you doing?" She asked in alarm. The two doctors next to her rushed forward and grabbed the marker from her.

Chancellor Paige took Isabelle's arm and looked at the writing with infuriated eyes.

"Look what you've done! Do you want to mess up all of the work we've done here? All to remember a boy?" She glared at Isabelle and pushed her arm away. The woman's grip had smeared part of the writing, making it almost illegible.

Isabelle said nothing. She would do it again, given the chance.

Then, Newt walked in. He strode over to his table and leaned on it, like Isabelle was.

Chancellor Paige, frustrated, pushed the hair out of her face.

"Are we ready to begin?" She looked to the doctors who nodded. She gave one back and waved her hand in a motion that gave the doctors permission to start.

This was it. Isabelle laid down on the smooth table and turned her head to look at Newt. He reached his hand out towards her with a look of defeat and she took it, holding it like a lifeline.

Then, the doctors began to erase her memory.