“How may I help you?” I asked in my nicest tone of voice.

The girl looked dreamily down on me, her eyelids drooping. “Shall we swap partners?” she asked, sounding perky in spite of her vague expression.

One look at Simon was enough to confirm what I already suspected: she was compelled. Eros had used his mind control on yet another girl. “Fine,” I decided. “What’s your name?”

The girl blinked, taking a second to recall her own name. “Sheila.”

“Demona!” Simon yelled after me when I stalked away, but I didn’t listen. I would give that bastard a piece of my mind – and maybe a knee in the groin, just for good measure.

It took Eros only a split second to reach me and steer me to a corner of the room. He smiled down on me, his hands on my hips. “So… I didn’t think you’d leave Simon for me, but I am glad you did.”

“How could you control Sheila’s mind? She’s your date for God’s sake!” I yelled in his face. I was beyond reason now, my hands shaking with fury. I took a step away from his cold hands, bumping into the wall.

Eros’ eyes widened for a second, but he caught himself and smirked. “You don’t even like the girl,” he protested for the second time that night. “Besides, I just wanted to dance with you.”

I narrowed my eyes and looked him up and down. There was something wrong here, but I couldn’t figure out exactly what it was. When I told him he’d compelled the girl, he’d looked… astounded, I guess. But that couldn’t be, now could it?

“Why did Sheila leave you right before the last dance started?” I asked, my arms folded.

“No idea,” Eros said lightly, closing the gap between us. “She just stalked away. Guess she caught me staring at you and decided it was time to tell you to back off or something. What did she tell you?”

“She told me she wanted to swap partners,” I replied, watching his face very closely. I could swear I saw him swallow. “And she seemed a bit off. Like someone… clouded her mind or something.”

“Well, blood loss can do that to people. Especially to weak little girls like her. I’m sure you would have taken it gracefully.” His voice was harsh – even for him.

“Hmm – that’s only supposed to happen when you take way too much blood,” I mused, bluffing. “Maybe I should tell a teacher – she could pass out any moment. Or you could go find her and let her take some of your blood, to make it even.”

Eros laughed. “No one has ever taken my blood, sweet Demona. I’m a taker, not a giver.”

“Well, I figured that out the day I met you,” I spat. I was pissed, but at the same time I had the feeling something was wrong. Maybe I was only imagining it, but I had the faint impression Eros was only acting so unkind to cover up the fact he hadn’t meant to control Sheila’s mind. But maybe that was just wishful thinking.

“Are you going to dance with me or not, 'cause if you’re not, I might as well find me some other girl and do some more disgusting bloodsucking.” His face was expressionless. “Nothing else I love more than draining hot girls.”

I took a deep breath, deciding to trust my instincts. “Look, how about I’ll owe you that dance. You can come get it next dance. Right now, I think we had better go outside for a moment. You really need to come clean, Eros.”

“Come clean?” he asked me, laughing. “I’m not doing drugs or anything.”

“You need to tell someone the truth and I’m kind of the only person who’ll actually listen to you. Who’ll at least try to help you, who will even believe you.” I raised my eyebrows at him, seeing in his eyes I’d been right all along. There was slight panic in there, just barely covered by rudeness and darkness.

“I hate it when you’re right,” Eros sneered, rolling his eyes to cover up his embarrassment. “Fine, we’ll go outside and spend some quality time together. But don’t expect me to cry – I can’t pull off the puffy red eyes look.”

========

Where can you order a copy of this book, you ask?

Create Space: https://www.createspace.com/4799393

On Amazon (but they barely give me any royalties).

Don't hesitate to message me about where to buy it!

Please like this story on Facebook and stay tuned about developments in the series: https://www.facebook.com/SupernaturalBoardingSchool