I jerked back my wrist and stepped away from him. “If you really think that this is the way to treat your date, then you are even more stupid than I thought.”

“You don’t even like the girl,” Eros protested.

“I am not going to dance with you and I am only talking to you because I know there’s no fucking way you’ll just shut the hell up and leave me alone. So what’s the point in ignoring you? I am here with Simon and you know it.” I turned around, hoping he’d just let me stalk out of there and look for Simon. Of course, I had no such luck.

“You are here with Simon, I get it. But you’re not his girlfriend, are you?”

“That’s none of your business, actually,” I retorted, smiling sweetly. That took him by surprise: he looked seriously dumb-struck. That had been the effect I’d been going for; it might allow me to get away from him. I was in no mood for Eros tonight.

“Well, it seems your date is coming back,” he spat. “Enjoy your evening.” With that, Eros stalked off.

“Demona, here,” Simon was suddenly right in front of me, handing me my drink. “Did Eros bug you much?”

I rolled my eyes. “What else to expect from him, huh?”

“Yeah, I saw him just now, figured you’d want to give him a piece of your mind before I joined you.”

I grinned, throwing an arm around Simon’s shoulders. “Actually, I was kind of desperately wishing for you to get back as fast as you could.”

“No, you weren’t,” he disagreed, frowning.

“What-” I started, but he didn’t let me finish.

“Well, at first you did, but when I came near I’m sure I felt…” He shook his head. “Never mind.”

“What’s going on?” I demanded. “What the hell are you talking about, Simon Summers?”

He shook his head again. “I don’t know. I just… I thought I knew what you wanted.”

“Well…” I thought about what he’d said for a moment. “I did want to give him a piece of my mind, I guess. I like making him feel sorry about the way he sometimes – well, most of the time really – treats people. But I also wanted you to get back.”

“Ah,” was all he said.

“Now, let’s go dance, shall we?” I proposed with a bow – that was a thing I’d just picked up from Eros. The guy might be a total nuisance, but that didn’t mean I couldn’t steel some of his less lame moves, now did it?

“I’d be honored,” Simon replied with a smile, gulping down his Coke. “This is a dance after all.”

“This is the last dance, people, make it count,” the DJ announced through the speakers. A really cheesy song from the movie Titanic sounded all around us.

“It’s already the end of the dance?” Simon asked, surprised.

“Are they seriously playing this cheesy song?” I asked, rolling my eyes. But no matter how cheesy the song was, I put my arms around Simon’s neck anyway.

He looked surprised. “Slow dancing? Really?”

“Well, you are my date…” I said, winking. “Come on, just one song.”

“Fine, but only because you ask it so nicely.”

Before we’d had time to actually dance, someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around to face a tall girl in a dress that barely covered anything. Yet, no matter how trashy she looked, I couldn’t deny the fact that she was simply stunning. I immediately realized who she was - Eros’ date. The tension I felt coming from Simon told me he was as aware of her identity as I was. What was she doing here, interrupting me dancing with Simon? From across the crowded room, I caught Eros’ steady gaze. His eyes were definitely smoldering and even from this distance it was undeniable that he was smirking.